Chapter 19

The following morning Dale rekindled the fire. She stared into the flames and willed them to show her Ness. But smoke stung her eyes and made her cough, so she gave it up, grabbed the fishing reel and headed off to the beach.

She stopped at Joy to check her epoxy job. When she poked it with her finger it didn't move or leave an imprint. Best leave it one more day, though.

She walked to the shore and the fish were already jumping. The wall of rocks that disappeared into the ocean seemed to provide a haven for all sorts of marine life.

She climbed along the wall until she was twenty yards from the shoreline. From her coat pocket, she took a ribbon of rabbit meat and threaded it onto a hook. After casting the reel just the way Gareth had taught her, she sat on a large rock to wait.

Fishing brought more memories of Gareth, like the time they caught a large salmon, which they took back to Joan who made a huge fish stew. Salmon were notoriously difficult to catch in Scotland's waterways now. Gareth had more pride than a peacock that day. 'It's the rabbit meat,' he'd said to Dale, as he tapped the side of his nose.

The reel tugged and Dale's heart thudded. She gulped and wound her line in a little. There was another tug, harder this time and it didn't stop.

"I got one." She laughed and reeled in the line. A silver streak bounced along under the water's surface. Dale kept reeling until she had the fish dangling before her. It was a beauty.

Guilt rose again when she thumped its head against the rock. You're too soft, Dale.

As she gutted the fish, Cat appeared beside her. He sniffed the air and started meowing.

"Trust you to turn up now." She laughed and threw some meat which Cat pounced on and attacked.

"It's already dead, Cat."

Back at the cave, Dale cooked her fresh kill on the fire. The aroma made her mouth water. The fish was ready in moments and Dale savoured the hot taste.

'Nothing like fresh fish, lass.' Gareth's words echoed.

She could do more fishing that afternoon; fish stew for dinner would be nice.

Dale spent the day attending to her stores. Checking over her food supplies she guessed she had enough to last two more weeks, at a stretch. She scratched her head, wondering if a diet of rabbit and fish would be enough to sustain her. She filled all her water bottles from the sparkling stream, collected more pine needles for her bedding, and restocked her firewood supply. In the afternoon she caught another three fish. Perfect for a fish stew. After she gutted them she looked over Joy, feeling pleased with her work so far. The sail was fixed and the hardened epoxy just needed sanding. She walked around to the stern and frowned when she saw where the rudder had been. What on earth will I use for a rudder? Should I use a branch? But that would be awkward, and probably too heavy. She sighed. Maybe the rudder would defeat her.

It was almost dark by the time her fish stew was cooking over the fire. The aroma of frying onions, garlic, herbs and fresh fish brought back more memories of summer nights with Joan and Gareth.

She wiped her eyes on her shirt and the whiff of body odour distracted her from her nostalgia.

"Phoar, I need a bath." I better do that tomorrow too.

Cat blinked.

"What about if we stayed here for a while, Cat? Would you like that?"

"Meow," Cat said and he walked toward her, head-butting her hand.