Chapter Eleven

Nicholas' POV

I stood at the door of Jacobs house for a few moments, processing the events of the evening, that had gone to perfectly peaceful to fatal. Poor Rosie, I hoped she would be ok.

Leah had surprised me, both with her fighting skills and her bravery. None of the other she wolves had acted in Rosie's defense. At this thought I grimaced and shook my head, making a mental note to deal with Natalee before she did something stupid.

I headed towards a small building on the outside of town, it looked like an abandoned farm house but served a double purpose. As I opened the door the smell of desperation assaulted my senses.
This is where the dirty work was done.
I could hear chains below me and I knew Eric had already restrained the culprit of the attack.

Pulling open a side door that lead down a flight of stairs I descended, taking the steps two at a time.
When I reached the bottom I saw Eric was very close to loosing his self restraint. Which was saying something seeing as he had one of the best controlled tempers in the pack.
"Eric, Leah and Jacob are working on Rosie now, I can handle this one if you'd like to go check on her..." I knew Rosie was like his mother and I needed this rogue alive to question him, Eric might snap and kill the poor bastard before we got what he needed.

The mutt was tied to a large beam on the low hanging ceiling with silver chains. There was no sizzling or smell of rotting flesh, silver didn't exactly work that way. It debilitated us first, then an uncomfortable rash would break out at the contact sight, after that pustules would begin to form and break leading to the silver spreading further on to the skin. If left like this it would be a matter of a couple of weeks before he died. Silver was like poison to us, and if left in constant contact with the skin it slowly entered our blood stream.

Eric shrugged and began retreating up the stairs after a hushed grunt of "Yes Alpha". The sour undertone was not lost on me.

Without acknowledging him I pulled out my phone and speed dialed Marcello, one of the lower ranking warriors that was stationed here. "The other two wolves need to be cleaned up.  They're behind the cottage in to the forrest a ways. Make it quick, then set up tighter patrols, there will be more coming." I barked through the phone, wistfully thinking that in all this mess I needed to find time to gather the whole pack to make them aware of me finding my mate.
But that could wait. We still needed to get to know each other, and there was always the looming possibility of rejection.

Shaking my head I pocketed my phone and took a step towards the rogue, his eyes were on my every move. Goddess he was creepy. Not in a scary way, just dirty and odd looking.
His eyes were full of fear but also resolve. Damn. He wasn't going to crack easily. Most Alphas had an interrogator, but I loathed giving dirty work to my pack members, especially the kind off work that would change you. So this was one task I did myself.

Nearly three hours later I emerged from the lower floor and in to the fresh night air, cleaning my hands with a damp rag. It had been as hard as always but I had gotten my answers and now I could plan accordingly. In the end the wolf, who had gone by the name of Jason, had decided to cooperate in exchange for a swift death and a respectful send off. The latter was easy, since we rarely defaced the dead even if they were monsters. I believed it was pointless and said more about us than it did about them. History would be written anyway, no reason to mutilate the already dead wolf.

There were packs that did awful things to cowards and traitors, I believed Gaia would deal them the proper hand once they reached the after life. Their names were already soiled so why dirty my hands in soiling them more.

Deciding to check on Rosie and Leah I headed back to Jacobs house, letting myself in the front door and back towards the small hospital wing.
As I entered the waiting room I couldn't help but smile, feeling the bonds warmth spreading through me as I saw her sleeping peacefully on the couch.
After peeking in to Rosie's room and seeing Eric fast asleep at her side I knew she would be well cared for during the night so I once again picked up Leah and walked back to the cottage with her in my arms.

Once inside, I put her in her bed gently, careful not to wake her, pulled off her shoes and covered her midsection with blankets before tugging off her jeans from the foot of the bed. If my parents had taught me anything it was that a gentleman would always prevail if the woman he cared for really mattered.

Closing her door gently as I slid out of the room I smiled to myself. I was exhausted, pissed off that one of my pack mates was hurt badly and excited to have Leah here. The brimming emotions were so overwhelming I wasn't used to it.
And it wasn't something that would be of any use at a time like this.

Grabbing a clean pair of sweats and a t-shirt I headed to the guest bathroom and took a much needed shower before going to my own room and sitting at the small desk beside the window.
I took out my phone once more and dialed Ian, my brother and my first Beta.
Even though it was late he picked up on the first ring.
"Ian, listen. I met my mate today, we also got attacked by rogues who were tracking her. I questioned one of the mutts...this is all too much to explain over the phone, I'm bringing everyone home as soon as Rosie is well enough to travel. Make the necessary arrangements and call in everyone else too. Make sure the borders are well patrolled, we're not talking about a few random rogues here brother...we need to be careful."

He had listened in silence to what I had to say and then pondered it for a moment before chuckling.
"Leave it to you to deliver both the best and the worse news in one breath big brother. I'll have everything ready in two days. Be careful, and take care of my new sister."

With that the line went dead and I flopped on to the bed, falling fast asleep in the blink of an eye.

***********************************
Hi guys!!!

I know I was supposed to update on Saturday but I've got mommy brain and ended up doodling my day away at work.

Total space cadet here!

Now I know things have been moving slowly, but I like giving background to my stories instead of rushing in to war and love lol!

Anyway, don't forget to comment, vote, follow and share! If you liked this chapter and the rest!

Where do our friends go from here? Who knows! We shall find out!

Much love
Xoxo
BB