Just my luck...

I looked at the time again, the bus was now nearly fifteen minutes late. Of course this only ever seemed to happen when I actually needed to get somewhere and be on time. I adjusted the bags I had hanging from both arms and propped the ones by my feet back up again wiggling my fingers to get the circulation back after the bags had made my fingers go fuzzy.
Twenty two minutes and counting, I was about to phone to say I would be late when I felt the first drop of rain fall on my forehead. No no no no no this isn't fair! The weather said it would be dry until tonight, so I'd thought I would be able to get away with not wearing a coat. I figured I'd be in the shops and on the bus so I wouldn't get too cold. A moment later the heavens opened and I was absolutely drenched. Just to top off my morning the handle of one of the carrier bags snapped, sending food rolling across the floor and into the road. I felt like crying. That food was supposed to be for my daughter's birthday party. Which I was supposed to be sorting out right now before my daughter needed picking up. Days like this made me regret not being able to drive, and moving away from family. I could feel the burn of the tears I was trying desperately to hold in. I shivered, with the rain had come the cold wind I'd grown familiar with since moving to the coast a few months ago. I'd taken my glasses off because it was now raining so hard I could see better without them than with. Which considering I could see less than a foot in front of my face was saying something. Not even bloody ducks would like this weather.
A big black 4x4 with tinted windows stopped in front of me and I stepped back warily. I'd had men stop and try to talk to me before and I was nervous of anyone who tried to talk to me from their car. The window on the passenger side rolled down and I could make out dark hair and a male face. Squinting against the rain I could make out two more men in the backseat. I took another step backwards, making sure I was out of arm's reach.
"Excuse me ma'am but are you alright?" the one in the passenger seat said in a gruff voice. His accent was American, which made me think they were just lost tourists that wanted directions. Hang on, he called me ma'am, jeez now I feel old.
"Ma'am?" he asked again breaking me out of my train of thought. I nodded.
"Uh, yeah, yeah I'm fine thank you." I stumbled over the words, half from the shivering and half from nerves. My anxiety spiked because they hadn't driven away and I tried to work out how far I could run before becoming a wheezy wreck. Not far enough to be worth it, maybe I could scream? I'd never screamed before though I didn't think it would be loud enough to attract attention. I was too softly spoken, I wished briefly that I was like the heroines in my books, strong and tough enough to kick ass without breaking a sweat instead of the clumsy, soft spoken nerd that I was.
"Would you like a ride? The rain is only getting worse, it can't be good for you to stand out in it."
My eyes widened, he can't be serious? There's no way in hell I'm getting in a car full of strangers. I get panicky just getting in a taxi and spend the whole time memorizing their i.d cards with my fingers hovering over my phone. I shook my head and hoped they would get the picture. Not interested, go away.
"No thank you." I said trying to sound firm and no nonsense. Don't show them you're nervous, make them think you're just as bold as you look. I'd always thought my appearance helped deter would be attackers, which is not something most people think about I guess - but after spending years walking around after dark for work in some not so pleasant areas I thought about it quite a bit. I knew that attackers were more likely to go for smaller, weaker targets so my height and size worked in my favour for once. I also tried hard not to look like a victim, walk briskly with confidence and purpose. I also avoided anywhere without streetlights like the plague.
They didn't get the picture. Balls. Running it is then, I tried to look casual and put my bags down on the floor, shifting my handbag over my shoulder so I wouldn't lose it while running.
"Oy North why'd you have to be such a grumpy fucker?! You've fucking terrified her, she probably thinks we're creepers or some shit."
I freeze at the voice coming from the back seat. What. The. Hell? His name is North? And he's American, and grumpy and that sounded suspiciously like Gabriel. I shake my head, don't be ridiculous, North and Gabriel are fictional characters. Fictional American characters. What on earth would they be doing here of all places in this shitty little town?
"Shut up Gabe. I do not sound like a creeper." he growled. Gabriel started to argue when the driver spoke over him in a deep, commanding tone.
"Mr Coleman, Mr Taylor this is possibly not the time or place for arguments. The young lady is going to get pneumonia standing there, her lips are already turning blue."
Oh dear lord, please don't tell me that Mr Blackbourne is here. I pinched my arm just to check I wasn't hallucinating. Nope definitely not dreaming then.
"I'm fine, the bus will be here in a moment so thank you for the offer but I'm ok." I was doing ok until a rumble of thunder sounded and I flinched. I hated thunder storms, always had done, the noise scared me. Another voice sounded from the backseat.
"Just let us give you a ride home, I wouldn't feel right leaving you here in this weather." Jiminy Cricket was that Victor? They're not the Blackbourne team I reminded myself. It's just a coincidence.
"Ma'am please just get in the car." Mr Blackbourne said and I struggled to find an argument against him. He's six years younger than you get a grip woman! I stood my ground, soggy as it was until a flash of lightning split the sky followed by a very loud crash of thunder. The storm must be right over us now and I shivered, my teeth were chattering and it was only pure stubbornness and a healthy dose of paranoia that was keeping me from jumping in their very warm, dry car.
My head was starting to ache from being without my glasses for so long and it was making me feel a bit sick. I fumbled in my bag for them, even if they would be next to useless at least the world wouldn't be quite so fuzzy around the edges. As I slid them on my nose I realised that North had gotten out of the car and was in the process of putting my shopping bags in the boot. I frowned at him, he looked a dead ringer for the fictional North now I could see him better and I understood why people would find him intimidating.
"You don't have to do this you know, it's not really something anyone would do around here." I mumbled. The Owen look a like frowned but stayed quiet. Victor looked at me over the headrest pleadingly.
"Please ma'am just let us help you, for your sake if nothing else."
I sighed, bugger it, I was cold and wet and scared they'd turn out to be horrible kidnappers but they had a car and for the moment they were being nice.
"Please stop calling me ma'am, you're making me feel old. I have a toddler who does a good enough job of that already. Just plain old Bec will do."
"You have a kid?" Gabriel sounded surprised then I realised he was looking pointedly at my obviously jewellery free fingers. I nodded and had to resist the urge I'm sure most mothers have of showing off pictures of their children.
"That's what I was shopping for. It's her birthday party today" I looked at my phone, crap! I was now running an hour late. I still had decorations to put up, food to prepare and a cake to decorate before my parents and in-laws showed up with my daughter.
I opened the car door and Victor shuffled over into the middle seat just as North climbed back in the front.
"We have sat nav if you could put in your address?" Owen, I refused to refer to him as Mr Blackbourne in my head, asked handing me the little device.
"Ummm" I started, unsure how to tell him I hadn't the foggiest idea how to use a sat nav. Victor cottoned on and took it from me with a smile.
"Here I'll do it for you, just tell me the address ok?" I nodded and gave him my postcode and he handed it back to Owen.
I was resisting the urge to squeal like a girl and send numerous messages to my sister, instead I sent her just the one:
Hey hey, running a bit late because the bus didn't show up, so I'll need a hand with things when you guys arrive. The kindness of strangers apparently doesn't just exist in books about boys from Charleston. I shit you not I am sitting in a car with N, O, V and G right now. Arghhh!!!
"So where are you guys from then? I mean this wouldn't be my first choice of location for a holiday but to each their own I guess."
"We're from South Carolina and we're not staying here just passing through on our way to a concert near here." North said from the front seat.
I nodded, that made sense, Victor was playing, Owen was pretending to be his manager, North the security and Gabriel the stylist.
"Oy. So what's your daughter like then? How old is she?" I laughed, she would like Gabriel I think, though im not sure he would appreciate her unique brand of hairdressing expertise.
"She's four and obsessed with all things pink and princessy or covered in glitter. She's bossy as all get out and mad as a box of frogs." I smiled fondly, I missed her when she was away but appreciated the time off.
"Mad as a..?" Victor repeated looking puzzled.
"Box of frogs. It means she's weird." I flicked through the pictures on my phone, finding the one I liked best I showed it to him and Gabriel.
"She's cute, doesn't look much like you though."
"Surprised me too, she's the spitting image of her dad." I said with a smile.
"Where is her dad, if you don't mind us asking?" Owen sounded cautious, like he was afraid to upset me.