Chapter 2

Thomas pov
A boy with dirty blonde hair and a thick British accent shoes me around. "Thomas." I whisper. "What was that, greenie?" He says. I look up at him and blush. "My name is Thomas." I say. "Well, Thomas, I'm Newt" he smiles. Just then a boy with black hair runs by. "Who's that?" I ask curiously. "That's Minho. He's in charge of the runners." Newt says. "What's a runner?" I ask. He watches Minho. "I can't tell you. You can ask Minho." He pats me on the shoulder and walks away.

I walk over to the doors. A chubby boy runs over to me. "Hey what are you doing?" He says. I look at him and then look back into the doors. "Just looking." I say. He grabs my arm, "you can't do that." He says. Then, Gally, the boy who pulled me out the box, pushes me which knocks me down. I slide a few inches and quickly get up. "Hey!" He yells. "Why won't you tell me what's out there?" I yell back. Newt and other boys run up to me. "Calm." Gally says like I'm a dog.

"What's out there." I look out Newt. "Come with me." He says. Gally didn't like it but after a few minutes he let Newt tell me. We walked into the woods and he say down,leaning against the tree. I sat down next to him. "It's the maze. It's filled with grieves and traps. The whole thing is a death trap." He says softly. "How do you know?" I ask. He sighs. "I was a runner once." I look at him. "What happened?" I say. I don't expect him to answer but after he few minutes he sighs. "I was running one day. I was tired and think about everything. Tommy, I hated life here. It was bad. I was close to the doors and Minho was around the corner so, I climbed to the top of the vines and jumped." He starts to cry. "I wanted to die. Minho found me and I told him what I did. When we got back he told everyone. For weeks I had to follow Alby around that's how I became second in command." He closes his eyes. "Newt, I'm sorry." I say. He looks at me. Tears fall making his cheek wet. I pulls him close and kiss him. When I pull away, he smiles. He leans his head on my shoulder and eventually falls asleep.