Chapter 4

So it took me forever to write this... I'm still working on my schedule sorry. And all I did this summer was be lazy. Ima try to go faster from now on but no promises.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke with a start and found myself curled up in Matt’s cot. My heart was beating hard from my dream, and it started beating harder when I realized what position I was in with Matt. His arms were wrapped around me and he face was about two inches away from mine. He was asleep, and every time he breathed in and his chest lifted it would come into contact with mine. Something about the way he breathed fascinated me and I lay next to him watching him breath for a few minutes. There was a tiny piece of his hair that was falling into his face over his closed eyelids. My hand moved out unconsciously and pushed it out of his face.

His eyelashes fluttered and then his eyes opened. The full force of those big green eyes hit me and my stomach fluttered.

“Uh…good morning,” I whispered, “at least I think it’s morning.” I frowned a little.

A low chuckle emanated from his chest and I reveled in the sound of it.

“I don’t think it’s morning,” he said, gesturing to the mouth of the cave. I had to turn around to see, but it was pitch black outside.

“Oh. Good, uh, good night, then.” I told him.

“Good night to you too,”  he told me, then looked like he was considering something, “You seem to fall asleep a lot. I’ve only known you a day, but you’ve already fallen to sleep on me twice.”

“I’ve just, um, have had a kind of exhausting past couple days. And crying always makes me tired.”

“Of course you have,” Matt said, immediately becoming concerned, “are you feeling ok?”

“I’ll be alright,” I told him, but a few tears escaped my eyes and I remembered my dream. Memories of my mom and Jennifer flitted through my brain, and it hurt so much I wished I could have Fog to wipe away their memory and all the pain. But then I also was glad that at least someone remembered them, when no one else was capable of it. I was the only angel left to keep them alive in my heart, so I swallowed the tears and smiled at Matt.

“So, why exactly are you guys trying to bring all the runaways together?” I asked him, wanting a distraction from thoughts of my best friend and my mom, and also because I was sincerely curious.

“Oh, well, we all just thought it would be good because it would be easier for everyone who’s out there on their own to have the support of a community. And, well, to be honest, we were kind of hoping that all the angles would be so enraged about the unjust rules and the whole system that we could host a rebellion.

“What!?” I asked, shocked, but Matt mistook my being aghast for something else.

“Yeah, I know 60 angels isn’t quite enough to take down the entire government, but I mean, once people hear about it, the other rebels will gain the confidence to join us and break out. I don’t know if enough people in the towns would-”

“No. No, no, nonononono. You can’t rebel! You can’t just overthrow the government! For one thing, you’ll get killed, and for another, the government…we need them. I’m sure they just don’t understand something about this whole rule process, and the Fog, but-”

“Sadie,” Matt said, getting out of the cot and coming over to where I was pacing and taking my hands in his. It wasn’t until that second that I realized I had gotten off the bed and was walking around in a passionate fury.