Chapter 27-Graduation 2.0

She mouthed I love you and gave me a smile. This was what I needed now. I took a deep breath and walked up on the stage.

It wasn't too loud but I got applause. Especially from Blake who was sitting with the teachers, smiling at me.

"Here you go." Mr. Franklyn said giving me my certification.

"Thank you so much." I wanted to walk off the stage again as quickly as I could but he held me back.

"I have a few words to say. First of all. Can we please get a special applause for this young lady here. We know that you have been through some things in the past few months but we, the teachers and the students, are all proud of you and wish you the best. We know that it must have been hard for you these past couple weeks but you managed to show us that you can do anything by staying strong and getting your degree. I must admit I didn't think you would do this good but you showed everybody wrong. Do something smart with your future."

"Oh my god. Thank you so much Mr. Franklyn."

I walked back to my seat where my mom was. I was so happy that I didn't even care about the looks I was receiving. Some of them were nice but most of them were jealous.

"I'm so proud of you."

"Dad didn't want to come?"

"No. But I know that he's proud, too."

"Whatever."

"Dana. He loves you and so do I."

"I know but it doesn't seem like it... Wait..don't you have to be at work?"

"Yes I just came to see you. I have to go back in an hour but I have time for some pictures."

"Thanks mom."

My mom and I sat down and watched the others going on stage. About 20 minutes later the last student went to get his certification.

"Ok guys before you go I want to thank a few more people. I want to thank Mr. Schmitz for her commitment in the theatre group, Mrs. Kern for organising all the class trips, Mr. Lory, our guidance counselor and Mr. Griffin for taking the time and helping our school team get to the playoffs this year. So guys it's been a long road and life is just beginning to start now. You'll be missing school. But I wish all of you the best and I hope that you do something with your future.

Everybody applauded again and we were finally allowed to leave. My mom and I got up and walked out. Everybody was taking pictures with their friends and family and my mom took a few pictures of me and a few friends from my classes.

"Can we take a picture, too?" I heard a familiar voice behind me say.

"Blake! I insist."

My mom took the picture and told me she had to leave.

"Mom can I stay at Blake's today?"

"Umm...you know what? Why not?"

"Thank you." I said giving her a hug. Something we hadn't done in quite a while.

"Blake, I have to go real quick."

"Sure. I'll wait in the car."

I went to the girls' bathroom and looked at the mirror. I was proud of myself and I was so happy that I was finally out of high school.

"You're right."

"Huh?" I said turning around.

"You're right about me. I should have comforted you."

"So what? That's what you wanted to tell me. Guess what? I don't care."

"Listen. You may don't know it but I'm an outsider. I have always been. And guess who always bullied me? Alex and Anna and all those jocks. Your friends. And since you were gone everybody's focus was on you and they started to forget about me. They stopped bullying me and I kind of belonged to them. But since you came back here it has been going backwards and they started to harras me again. I guess I was just kinda pissed at you even though I don't really know you."