14

"Hey Emerson!" Andrea chirped the next morning as I walked in the front doors of the shop, "Where's Chase today?" She asked. I should have known she'd be skeptical the second Chase hadn't dropped me off on his motorcycle. I tried to hold back tears as I merely shook my head grabbing my apron. "Is he okay? Em?"

"H-He's fine." I stuttered tying my apron around my waist.

"Hey, what happened?" She asked rushing to my side, concerned.

"He moved out... he just... dumped me." I was exasperated as I said this, out of breath. I still couldn't come to terms with the whole incident.

She tiptoed around me the whole day, and even weeks after. Not even mentioning Conner, I finally had to tell her it was okay to talk about her love life. Even then she still didn't. My days dragged on, working full time all day every day struggling even then to pay for the nice apartment I loved so dearly. Even though it was the perfect place for me, it was hard to even sit in that living room without thinking of Chase. And every time that Never Shout Never song we'd talked about that first day together played, I had to skip over it. It was hard to think about him. It was hard to stay in that apartment. And soon after I found myself packing my things, ready to leave for good.

~

It was a rainy Saturday morning when it happened. I was half awake as I served people coffee and pancakes at the diner, Andrea lagging behind me even more tired than I was, when I had a visitor.

"Emerson..." Andrea said, "Someone's um... someone's here for you." She seemed uncomfortable.

I cocked my head, I didn't know anyone besides her really. Figuring my mom might be back from touring Europe here to say hello, I wearily made my way out the kitchen door only to be greeted with that blonde hair and sparkling eyes. Except they seemed duller than normal. My mouth hung open, my brain searched for the words I knew I'd be unable to say.

"Emerson-"

I turned around running back into the kitchen. He didn't deserve any sort of explanation. He never would, just walking out on me like that... waiting a whole two months to say anything to me at all. I get the fact he might need time to cool off, but wasn't two months a little much? Andrea sighed looking up from the counter where the orders sat. "Can't you try to talk to him?"

I just ignored her remark grabbing a tray ready to serve the nice mom and her daughter at the table in the corner. I smiled sitting the food down in front of them rushing off. I had work. I didn't have time for Chase's romantic gestures. He tried to stop me multiple times, but I kept going. Serving customer after customer until finally I looked over to the counter to see that he was gone. Good. I didn't want him there. But as I thought this something inside of me seemed to sink... I couldn't pin point it... but I felt regret.

Andrea and I made small talk as we cleaned up the shop making our way home. I walked up the steps to my apartment where it would be empty inside. Boxes would be piled in corners, I couldn't find another roommate so I'd decided to move out. I'd be staying with Andrea until I found a place. My feet felt heavy and I nearly dragged them up the metal stairs. I didn't know exactly why I hadn't told my parents Chase was gone to get my support back, maybe this whole time I'd been hoping for him to come back to me. I knew even if he tried, nothing would ever be the same. It was over.

My hand grasped the metal knob as I opened the door. Everything dark inside. I felt myself trip over a box, but I leaned down to find it empty. I searched for the light switch on the wall, flipping it on. The room was illuminated with light, and I looked around to see all of my stuff set back up in its exact places. Was this some sort of joke? I saw a note hanging underneath the light switch I had just flipped on. I picked it up reading the scrawled handwriting that I recognized so well.

Emerson, Even after all this time I still remember. I heard you were moving out, and you don't deserve to give up everything you ever wanted because you can't afford this place. I scheduled an audition for you (information is pulled up on your laptop), I still care about you even if the feeling isn't mutual and I only want what's best for you. Don't leave. If you'll take me back, I'll be here. I love you. Chase.

I tore it in half angrily falling in a heap on the floor. I heard movement in the kitchen, and I knew he was here. "Come out." I called wiping a few tears from my cheeks. He emerged from the kitchen door, his head hung low. "You've sure got a lot of nerve, you know that?" I was sobbing now, "Ignoring me for a month, leaving me to struggle and pay for this place, you're no better than my goddamn parents! No one cares about me I guess, no one cares enough to stick around-"

He ran over to me, crouching onto the floor as he kissed me forcefully on the lips. He wiped the tears from my cheeks as he kissed me softly. "Please don't cry." He said softly.

"Leave."

"Emerson don't do this to me-"

I turned my head throwing the remains of the post it note in his face. I think I saw him crying as he got to his feet walking out the front door. But I think he got the message. It seemed to be over between the two of us.