*** *** ***

"Well, that was unexpected," Calamity noted, staring through the open safe into the building adjacent to the Helpinghoof Clinic. The entire back of the safe was gone, as was a significant amount of the other building's wall. Judging by the damage, it looked as if a large magical energy weapon on the scale of the Junction R-7 cannon had been used to melt through the wall. "Somepony had a hard-on fer this safe."

"They were stupid then," I commented. "That blast probably destroyed anything that was in here."

SteelHooves spoke, "I don't think this was the safe they were intending to use that weapon for."

"How do ya figure?"

"First, this safe was hidden. It's likely they didn't even know it was here."

SteelHooves was right. The safe had been hidden behind a large, framed sign; most scavengers wouldn't have thought to pull it down and look behind it. But ever since Homage revealed her safe behind the Splendid Valley painting, I'd fallen into the habit of peeking behind frames. Something which undoubtedly added fodder to my companions' discussion of my so-called vice.

I glanced over to where the sign was propped against a medical rack. It was very much unlike the posters I had grown used to. A more forthright and clinical warning from the past:

Wartime Stress Disorder

For over a thousand years, ponies have known only peace.

It should be no surprise then, that so many are not able to cope with the harsh realities of war.

Wartime Stress Disorder is a very real illness that affects thousands of ponies each year.

Know what to look for:

· Depression

· Anxiety

· Lack of Sleep

· Loss of Appetite

· Unpatriotic Thoughts

· Suicidal Impulses

If you, or any of your loved ones, are experiencing two or more of these symptoms, it may be WSD.

If so, ask for help. No pony needs to suffer alone. Knowledgeable and Caring Ponies trained by the Ministry of Peace are waiting to help.

I spared it only a glance before turning my attention back to SteelHooves. (Having read the sign before floating it down, I didn't need to read it again.)

"Second," SteelHooves continued, having apparently paid more attention to our surroundings than I had, "the building next to the clinic was a bank."

I had admittedly dismissed the building next door after discovering the doors were blocked by interior rubble. I could see now (through the safe) that a fair amount of the interior was intact. And a bank promised to be interesting. "Okay," I said, floating out the zebra rifle. "I'm going through."

I started to climb up into the safe only to feel teeth bite down on my tail and pull me back.

"Oh no y'aint!" Calamity said, letting go. "Ain't no way any o' the rest o' us c'n wiggle through that thing," he said, pointing a hoof at the wall safe. I opened my mouth to protest, but he cut me off. "Ah ain't lettin' ya brave the place alone. Whatever destroyed that wall might still be lurkin' in there." Calamity smirked, "Besides, y'said yer next adventure would be with me. Ya promised an' Ah'm holdin' ya to it."

I slumped. He had a point. Then I brightened. "Once I'm inside, I'll be able to see the rubble blocking the front door and levitate it out of the way. I can let you all in through the front. It will only take a moment."