Chapter Eleven

Texas and Dakota made it home right before sunset. Tex had insisted on walking Chick home (he didn't want her to get attacked by a bunch of drunk socs).

As he and D walked home he realized something, he cared for another human being besides Dakota. His whole life he had only cared for one person in the world, Dakota. And now, now he felt that he care for Chick too.

Pulling out a cigarette (something he hadn't done in a long time) he lit it up and took a long draw on it. He knew that if he wanted to get closer to Chick he'd have to quit. Chick was afraid of the cigarettes and that meant she was slightly afraid of Texas. Tex made a promise in his mind that first thing tomorrow he'd throw away all his cigarettes and finally quit.

"Hey Tex," Dakota interrupted his thoughts.

"What up, kid?" Tex asked after another draw on his cigarette.

"Can I have a draw?" she asked motioning towards the cigarette. Texas suddenly felt a wave of sadness wash over him. Normally he'd be totally happy and give her one of her own cigarettes to puff on but today, he wasn't. The words that Chick had said about her brother "got a brother that died of that shit." The whole conversation replayed in his mind. And finally Tex asked himself, do I want D, my baby sister, to get into something that could kill her? The answer was surely no.

"Tex!" Dakota cried out impatiently, "Can I have a fucking draw or what?"

Tex shook his head, "No, D," was all he said.

"Huh?" Dakota raised her eyebrow. She was slightly confused at what her brother wanted her to become, first he wants her to smoke and be a tough broad, and now he's saying no.

"Look, D," Tex started a brother lecture, "Promise me that no matter how rough things ever get for ya you'll never resort to drinkin' or smokin' or fightin'."

"Tex?"

"Just promise me, D!" Tex yelled.

Dakota nodded obediently. She'd do as she was told no matter what it meant. She trusted her older in ways that she could never trust anyone else.

The two continued their walk home in silence. Tex didn't really know what to say after that.

Upon entering Johnny's house Tex could feel an anger tension in the air. But why? Had something happened? Was Randy winning in this battle of taking the kids?

"We're home!" Dakota yelled as she ran into the living room. Tex moseyed along behind her. He was still not in any hurry to go anywhere.

Dally came out of the kitchen with an anger filled look on his face, "Where have ya two been all day?"

"The park with Chick," Tex replied.

"And ya didn't leave a note 'cause?" Dally was scaring himself. He sounded like Darry when Ponyboy and Soda came home late. This was really freaky for him to go from a carefree guy to the father of two kids.

"Uh..." Tex didn't know what to say. When Sylvia was around she never really cared where the kids went or how long they were gone. And she sure as hell didn't care about a silly little note.

"I thought you were mature enough to leave a note, Tex," Dally shook his head in anger.

"I'm sorry...it's just with Sy-"

Tex was interrupted by the sound of the doorbell ringing. 'Yes!' he thought to himself 'saved by the bell!'

Dally walked over to answer it, "What do ya want?"

"Hello, Mr. Winston," replied a harsh voice, "I am Miss Judy Swaths, but you can just call me Miss Swaths." She pushed her way inside the home at which D and Tex were living in.

Tex stood dumbfounded. He had no idea who this woman was or why she was coming into their home.

"What are ya doin'?" Dally asked as politely as he could.

"Mr. Winston I am with Social Services. I am here to take Dakota and Texas to foster care until their trial."

"What?" Dally yelled, "Their trial isn't for a month!"

"I know," Mrs. Swaths replied, "And child services feels that it would best for the children to stay with a regular family until the trial. This allows you to have some time to figure yourself out, Mr. Winston. I understand that you've been in a lot of trouble before. Judges don't like troublemakers."

"Excuse me Miss Swath but I think I'm older now and a lil' more mature. And I don't think that it's right for ya to come in here and embarrass our family with this... this... riot."

Miss Swaths laughed, "This is no riot, Mr. Winston. This is I taking your children to another home. You will see them again soon." Miss Swaths walked into the living room where Dakota sat watching television, "You have tonight to get packed and ready. I'll be here at nine o'clock sharp." And with that she left.

Tex stood dumbfounded. He hadn't moved from his one spot. What was happening?