Chapter Six

Tex felt his heart beat rapidly inside of him like a Comero engine. He tried to stay strong and act like he didn't care but the truth was that he did somewhat care. He didn't care that his father - birth father- was standing right outside the door. No. He cared about what was going to happen to him and Dakota. All he cared about was Dakota at this rate.

Before he had wanted it all. He had wanted Dally to come pick up Dakota and him and leave old Sylvia and awful Randy behind. But that was before...before Tex knew the truth. Dally was a cold and hateful man that was proud of his delinquency and had way too much pride in himself. Dallas Winston couldn't have cared less about his family. He wanted to be free. He wanted self-choice. Johnny had always told Tex that Dally felt like a prisoner when taking care of his family.

"Hey, Texas," Tex looked up to see a strange man. Tex had no real memory of his father. He looked like any other ordinary greaser with baggy blue jeans, an old black t-shirt, a brown wool jacket, and boots. His blonde hair was left out and wild, much like Tex's.

"Name's Tex," Tex replied sharply. He didn't want to give Dally any chance of getting close to him.

Dally looked Tex close in the eye. Tex glared straight back. Dally's eyes were cold and scary. They scared Tex.

"This is Dakota," Johnny said pushing Dakota over towards Dally. Dallas looked at the little girl. To Tex it was like he was shocked that he had a daughter. This angered Tex. He should be hugging them and trying to help them. But no, he was just standing there.

"Hi," Dakota said flatly. Tex knew she was putting on her cold side. Maybe she felt the same way? But she had asked about the sunset and if Dally saw it too. She had cared.

"Hi," Dally replied. Tex could see that he had no idea what to do. He was confused. Tex could sense it.

"So," Johnny started, "Why don't ya take the kids out to breakfast?"

Dally nodded, "Sure. That sound good?" He looked at Tex asking him if that was okay. Tex nodded a small nod.

"Well get goin' 'fore the crowds show up," Johnny said quickly pushing the three out the door. He wanted to give Dally a chance to defend himself and explain his life. Mainly he wanted Tex to hear Dally's story.

Tex sat in the front seat of Dally's truck. It was an old Gray Toyota with enough dirt and mud to build a mud fort. There was no music or distractions. Tex had to resort to glaring out the window. Every few minutes or so he'd look back at Dakota to make sure she was okay.

"So," Dally said suddenly causing Dakota to jump.

"What?" Tex replied flatly.

"Um...how old are y'all now?" Dally asked hesitantly. He was trying to hide his nervousness, Tex could tell, but he was failing.

"Fifteen," Tex replied.

"Seven," Dakota said roughly. She tried to make herself sound tough.

Dally nodded, "Y'all still in school?"

Tex shook his head, "Sometimes. When I feel like it."

"Everyday," Dakota replied. Tex could be a drop out but he wouldn't let his little sister end up like him. She was going to be the one to get out of this awful town and do something with herself.

"That's good... I guess," Dally replied, "I was never one for school. Dropped out 'fore I was sixteen."

Tex nodded, "Longer 'en me."

"Yea," Dally replied, "Sylvia let ya quit?"

"She never knew... Or cared," Tex replied. It was true. Sylvia never had the time to look after her kids. That was how Tex had picked up on all the bad habits that he had.

Dally parked his car sideways in front of the Dingo. He didn't care though. It was how he had always parked. Tex looked a little surprised that he would do it though.

"So," Dally began as the three sat down in a booth in the corner, "Johnny wanted me to explain myself a bit, let y'all know what I been up to and stuff." He sighed looking into his two children's eyes. They were sad and cold...much like his. Dally could tell that Tex had been raising Dakota to be rough and tough and not let anything bother her. He guessed that Tex was raised to be tough...much like him.

"Yea...so what's the story?" Tex asked. He was ready to hear what his father had to say in defense of himself.

"I, uh, well as you both know I've always been in trouble. Got myself a record and have done quite a few things that today, I ain't too proud of. One of 'em was leavin' you two. If I told ya that I never wanted to leave ya, I'd be lyin'. The truth was that I had an awful time tryin' to be the father figure. Sure, I had wanted to be a good father and teach you both right but ya just gotta understand that I wasn't that type a guy. I practically raised myself and had always been in a gang. I learned how to fight at a young age," Dally sighed, "I'm sorry for leavin' ya both but ya just gotta understand that that was the type of guy that I was...impatient and free willing."

Dakota nodded but Tex wasn't going to let him off easy, "Then why'd ya even bother bein' with Sylvia? Why'd ya have D if I were a mistake? Huh?"

Dally sighed. He didn't know all the answers to the stupid stuff he did. Mostly he did it for kicks. Sex, drugs, stealing, fighting were all fun stuff to do. He never really got tired of it, "It's real complicated, Texas."

"Tex," Texas corrected, "And I'm a pretty complicated kid...so I think I could handle the truth."

Dally thought about how to explain, "We just did stupid stuff. We were young and naïve."

Tex shook his head. Was his father saying that he and Dakota were stupid? They were the products of two unprepared teenage kids. How was he supposed to feel with this?

The three ordered and ate in silence. There was nothing more to be said. Nothing more to add. Just another breakfast.