Chapter Twenty

"You're here early for a Monday morning," Chloe commented as she glided through the doors of the newspaper office, coffee in one hand and a binder in the other. "It's almost like you're trying to be productive. Which is crazy, because it's you we're talking about."

I continued typing on the computer, not bothering to look up. "I wanted to avoid the crowd of people asking me about my relationship with The Black Phoenix. So I came here to work on some essays."

"Of course," she replied, sitting down in her computer chair and logging on. "Hey, have you seen Colton?"

My head whipped up too fast, flashes of leather suits and superpowers coming to mind. "Have I seen Colton do what?"

She frowned, looking at me like I was certifiably insane. "I don't know... Existing? You okay?"

"Of course I'm okay," I replied, choking out a laugh. "Why wouldn't I be okay? Everything's fine!"

She looked pointedly at the cup of coffee on my desk. "Jeez, how many cups have you had?"

I swallowed and focused on my computer. Since finding out Colt's secret, I'd managed to avoid most basic human interactions. But with Chloe there now, being her usual astute self, I hadn't been counting on how strange it would feel to know his secret. I felt like now that I knew, it would be just as easy for anyone else to find out. And I wanted so desperately not to be the reason it came to light.

"So, anyway, have you spoken to our masked man lately?" Chloe continued, making idle conversation while her prehistoric computer booted up.

"No, of course not," I replied quickly, typing with much more vigor than necessary. "Why would I?"

"I don't know... Maybe because he's totally in love with you?" Chloe continued. "Careful, Colton might begin to get jealous."

"Don't be silly, Chlo," I told her. "We're just friends."

"Figured out his identity yet?"

I'd been midway through taking a sip of coffee, and choked on the bitter liquid at her question. She snorted at my etiquette and produced a box of tissues, which I used to mop up the spilled drink. "No. I haven't."

"Well, get on it," Chloe replied, clicking on a document and beginning to type. "We've got a mystery to solve and a hero who needs unmasking."

"Why?" I replied. "Why can't we just leave him alone? He's not doing any harm by hiding behind a mask."

"Okay, Vi, what is going on with you?" Chloe turned her green eyes on me accusingly. "You're acting possessed. What's up?"

"Nothing," I told her. "I'm fine. Don't I look fine to you?"

"You're weird," she told me frankly, before turning back to her computer. Thankfully it was one of those days where she didn't launch into a full inquisition; otherwise I may have melted under the pressure of her intense stare. I sighed in relief and continued writing, glad to have a moment to collect my thoughts and calm myself.

"Hey, your boyfriend just flew by," Chloe told me, fingers barely stopping as they moved with alarming alacrity over the keyboard.

"What?" I squeaked, my voice hitching up a painful notch.

"Colton just went running by," Chloe expanded. "He looked like he was in a hurry. Off to save the world, or something."

"I've gotta go," I told her, logging off quickly and grabbing my jacket as I shoved back my chair. "It's been lovely chatting, Chlo, but, you know, places to be and people to see!"