Bringing the Laughs

Two similar days to the one where I met Phil flew by and I found myself preparing to return back to work. The two weeks of break had been for some much-needed me-time but look how it really turned out. Window-shopping and talking to strangers. Strangers that I really would like to talk to again. 

So in the lead-up of reverting back to a life of taking calls and getting coffee, I took a short trip to a nearby Starbucks. Something, be it caffeine or otherwise, needed to clear my head. It was relatively early so the city still slept. Even the fog and drippy London air seemed to be at half-speed this morning. 

I ordered a long and complicated drink but I knew that it had toffee in it so I was already salivating at the idea. Whilst waiting for my order I took a lone lounge seat by the window and looked out, still in that state of gazing where one doesn't see anything. I was drowsy and it was warm in the cafe. My eyelids grew heavy. I wished that when I received my drink I could just come back and sit down here and sip it peacefully. But this was my coffee to prepare me for getting other people's coffee. My pre-coffee coffee. Hmm.

I took long measured blinks to myself, knowing that this was not the right way to keep myself awake. I gave a minor start when my name was called. With swaying, almost drunken steps I went to the counter and thanked the counter girl. Before I exited I took one long sip and could've sworn I could feel the liquid parading through my veins and warming me right up. 

As if in slow motion, something amazing happened. Outside the window I saw a slightly hunched figure, bundled in a black coat, walking right outside the seat I had just sat at. He kept his head down but I recognised that familiar pointed fringe and straightened hair. Unbelievable. 

I held my own coat around myself with one hand and with the other gripped the warm Styrofoam cup. With a hopeful heart I practically leapt out of the cafe and out onto the street. I turned to greet Train-Guy before he could run into me.

"Hey!" I said, a little too loudly. People walking past looking at me weirdly as if they hoped I wasn't talking to them. But, luckily, the right person looked up.

His bright face broke into an immediate smile, the corners displaying deep dimples. I could see in his eyes that he considered this to be an uncanny coincidence as well. 

"Lamp-girl, fancy seeing you here!" he said in his very own posh accent.

He continued to walk but it looked like he also wanted to keep speaking to me so I fell into step beside him and together we strolled through the chilly air.

"Ah, see now that's the problem," I said and he narrowed his eyes and looked at me, "I don't know whether to call you Train-Guy or Really-Bad-Pun-Guy."

He chuckled to himself and I noticed how cute that actually was. It came from the ball of his throat, a low sound, and he looked down. As if he was embarrassed.

"'Really-Bad-Pun-Guy' sounds like some sort of superhero. He'll defeat you with the lameness of his puns."

I laughed. His humour was contagious, "sounds about right" I said.

"So we've met twice, shared a laugh or two and I don't even know your name" he looked at me, his brown eyes filled with expectancy.

"Lucy," I said without hesitation, "yours?"

He freed a hand from his coat pocket and held it out for me to shake. Neither of us stopped walking.

"I'm Dan... Howell" we clasped hands and he gave mine a small squeeze.

"Nice to meet you." I didn't know why I was blushing. Yet so was he so I didn't worry too much.

He shrugged it off, "so where are you headed?"