The First Fears

There was a time, early enough that the history books don't speak enough but old so Adam and Eve weren't the only ones alive, when everyone was afraid of everything. Every crack of shadow, every sliver of light. They were all so consumed amont their fears of the world, and everything it held.

Afraid of anything. The stars in the sky, the dirt they walked on, the beds on which they slept. Monster's didn't rule, but it would of been a time they were thriving.

Each and every person had each and every fear. Until one day, the day the entire time and days stood all in zeros, HE decided it should be otherwise. HE decided that people shouldn't be afraid of everything. And as their fears all broke.....

.....so did I.

My entire being shattered, its pieces spreading across the world, weakened to the point of retreating to places they could not be seen. Hiding in shadows, lurking under beds, slithering through dreams and haunting the realm of death.

Centuries went by, and even then I could not regain my form. They all still only feared certain things, or nothing at all. The pieces of my soul had been growing over time, becoming the very things people fear.

And you are just what I need. You are the last piece the blackened, rotted flesh of my soul needs to become whole again. Just one last fear, and I'll rule once more. I watched you sleep last night, waiting for the moment you shot up from your resting place in terror, cold sweat pouring down your face. But it didn't happen. Don't worry, though, I'm a patient person. So tonight, dear, I suggest you leave your door open.

It makes it easier for me.