Chapter 3

I let the General lead me through the cramped hallways of his ship. I could tell he was still upset and I wasn't sure whether or not to speak up. I was his subordinate after all, and it would be unprofessional to butt in where my opinion was not welcome.
He turned a corner and stopped in front of a door. He punched in a passcode and the door slid open, allowing us to step inside. It wasn't until the door shut behind me that I realized this was a bedroom. This was his bedroom.
"Sir?" I began, his back turned to me. "These are your quarters. I assume you want me to go to mine?"
"You don't have quarters," he said, his greatcoat sliding off his shoulders. "I didn't plan on having you on board. I only have enough for me and the small troop with us. Ren will stay in the medcenter until we land. You are going to stay in here with me."
       I stared at him in surprise. "I-I don't want to impose on you," I stammered. "I can stay in with Ren."
       "I wouldn't subject you to that kind of torture," he said in a dry tone. "You'll stay with me."
       I nodded. It sounded like he was giving me orders, and I was in no place to disobey. I took off what parts of my uniform that I could, leaving me only in a tank top and black pants. I did my best not to stare as General Hux did the same.
       I had been correct about him being smaller under his clothes. He was thin and much less broad than Ren was, but I made no comment on this. My eyes skimmed over his pale back, looking at the muscles and freckles. I pried my eyes away when he turned around.
He wasted no time in looking me up and down, though his eyes were calculating unlike my own. Even if he had gotten any pleasure from looking over me, it didn't register in his face or body. He was stoic almost all the time it seemed.
"Will you be comfortable in that?" he asked me. I nodded, seeing as he was wearing the same thing and I had no other clothes anyways.
I waited for him to get in bed before I did. I felt I had to be extra mannerly and professional around him, especially considering the situation. If I wasn't working beneath him, I would have been much more relaxed. But if I made one wrong move, he could make my life a living hell.
       I got beside of him, underneath the covers and made sure I left him enough space since it was his bed. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye, and though it was dim I could see the glow off his pale skin and ginger hair. I noticed that his hair was roughed up now, not slicked back like normal. It made him look more approachable, kind of attractive even.
       I blushed, turning my face away so he wouldn't see. I knew I shouldn't be thinking those kind of thoughts. He was my commanding officer, one I'd only known for a few days. After all, he didn't even know my name, he wasn't going to care about some entry level subordinate with a crush.
I rolled on my side so I didn't the temptation to look at him again. It would only further the little feelings I bared for him. I heard him rustling the sheets and I felt him get closer to me.
"You're going to fall off the bed if you sleep that close to the edge," he murmured. "You can stay toward the middle. I won't bite."
        Without giving me time to consider it, he grabbed my arm and pulled me to the center of the bed, close next to him. I was blushing furiously, heat radiating off of me like fire. I wondered if he could tell.
"Are you alright?" he asked, looking at me.
       "Yes, sir," I answered. "It's...its just been a long day. I wasn't expecting anything like this to happen."
       "I understand," he said, then he paused for a moment. I heard him take a breath before he continued. "Thank you, by the way."
"For what, General?" I asked, surprised since he didn't seem the type to give thanks.
"For helping me today," he stated. "And Ren as well, but I know he won't say anything about it."
"You're welcome, but it is my job to help you after all," I said with a small smile, though I doubted he could see it.
"Yes, but it's not your job to convince me to do my job. I should be able to do that myself," he said and I understood then what he was actually thanking me for.
"Sir, it was only a moment of doubt, I'm sure you aren't the only person in high command that it's happened to," I assured.
"Still, it shouldn't have happened and it's something you didn't need to see," he said, his voice sharp at himself.
"If you're implying that I think any less of you, General, I can promise that isn't the case," I said, looking up at him in the darkness.
He shifted beside me and I could now see the slight reflection of light in his eyes. They were staring at me now. "What do you think of me then?"
I faltered, not expecting the question. "Well, I haven't known you very long, but you seem like a good leader," I said, fumbling to find words that didn't feel cliché. "I do know that, from the way you've treated me, you must have respect for your subordinates. I...I think you're a good man, General."
       He arched an eyebrow at me and seemed to grin. "I'm the son of a military officer who was in the Empire, trained from birth to become the merciless and fearsome general of the First Order, and the Resistance wants my head on a platter, but you really think I'm a good man?"
       I flushed a little bit. "Um, well, yes," I stammered. "I think you are good to me...at least you have been today. I'm not sure if you're like this all the time."
       "I'm usually not, but today is an extenuating circumstance," he said. "Then again, I could stand being kind to you. You've proven yourself to be a loyal and driven worker."
"Thank you, sir," I said, smiling some at his praise. I had the feeling I had a very rare relationship with the General going off of how he treated me.
"Sleep now," he instructed. "I feel like tomorrow won't be any better than today was."
       I murmured an agreement and closed my eyes, letting the warmth around me lull me to sleep. I didn't mind if tomorrow was going to be worse than today, because right then I was very content.

A/N: Sorry it took so long to get this chapter up, but I hope it was still a fun read. Also this will probably end up being longer than I originally said, mainly because I'm having fun writing it. I've thought about adding in a bit of smut, though I'm not sure if the story will end up in that direction yet so don't hold me to it. Thanks to everyone who left comments and votes, they mean so much and help me keep writing :)