+ the 14 with sand in my shoes +

Start from the beginning

"For shelter," he answered. 

"What about food?" 

"Just worry about keeping up."

He moved faster, disappearing into the muddle of Civilians who were already dragging their feet.  But Roger and I kept up with ease, the beasts inside of us pumping more strength in whenever we needed it.  Hours dragged on, pink strands of my hair beginning to my stick to my cheeks.  Crates were slowly emptied, food disappearing into stomachs and water became sparse.  

"We're here," Trent announced and faint cheers rolled across the exhausted group. 

"Dinner time?!" Roger cried out and clamped his hands together, shaking them dearly.  

Lights flickered in the distance, thin drapes holding up what looked like tents.  The night had fallen and the heat vanished, a nice breeze brushing through my hair. 

Types of beast, witches and other paranormal creatures didn't pay any attention to the group of Civilians coming into this little market, minds interested in trading off and having a couple of pints for the road.

"Travelers?" Vhalerie asked, speaking her thoughts.

"Rogues," Roger answered.  "Supernatural creatures or Citizens who abandoned their homes and live on their own."

I turned my head around.  "How do you know more shit than I do?"

"'Cause I actually paid attention in class," he said under his breath and coughed.  "Obviously."

"I liked you better when your voice was high and you complained about walking and did my laundry," I growled back. 

The group stopped by a tent, a couple of werewolves greeting us with grunts and nods.  Several armed Citizens guarded Lance and Archer who sat in the sand, arms still shackled.  Lance tried to say something, but was told to shut up by one of the Citizens.  Archer's gaze moved across the market and found mine.  I quickly looked away.

One Citizen was sitting on a barrel, hunched over with heavy pants.  Trent patted his back before straying away to another tent.  I moved around to catch him approach an old creature hidden under a cloak that seemed to swallow their body whole. 

He did a strange bow thing and began talking.  The witch didn't move as Trent's gesture became more violent as his voice rose. 

"That witch seems very social," whispered Roger and I shoved my hand in his face.

Trent screamed and stormed off with a frustrated growl.

"It looks like you did well," Roger praised and received another slap from me. 

"Fucking old people," Trent muttered, stealing another glance at the witch who still hadn't moved.  "Just because they've lived for a couple centuries means they think they're top shit."

"What does he—she, uh, never mind.  What does the witch want?" I questioned.  

"In exchange for a food supply, she wants something almost imposs—"  He paused.  His eyes fell down to Roger.  Then me.  "She wants something that you can get for me."

"Oh no."  Roger groaned.  "The witch wants our first born child?  Dammit, I knew those Citizen fairytales were true.  Vhalerie, I knew this day was to come, but I didn't think it would be today. Your biological clock is gonna have to hurry up a little faster—yeowch!"

I removed my hand from the back of his head and looked at Trent.  "I'm not helping you with anything," I simply said.  "You're practically holding me captive and turned the kid I babysit against me."