Sophie swallowed. "It's all good. Advertising is hard. Don't worry about it."

"I overheard Bradley giving you your job back. You will come back, right? So we'll be working together possibly for quite a long time. Maybe we could start again, and...maybe you could forgive me and give me a chance?"

Sophie looked at Kelly and nodded. "Truce?" She extended her hand. What did she have to lose? Kelly was already an enemy. But she was also extremely talented, and if the truce held and they became allies, they'd win loads of work.

"Truce," Kelly replied, and they shook hands firmly.

The boat arrived at the dock and Sophie disembarked. Matthew followed her onto shore, but she walked quickly, trying to outpace him.

"Soph," he called. "Wait."

She wouldn't; she couldn't. She didn't feel ready to face him. But his legs were longer and he caught up. He stepped in front of her. He blocked her path, taking her hand like he'd done so many times in the pool.

"Soph, I care a lot about you, really, and I don't think you're a charity case. I just liked you and wanted to spend some time with you." He stared deep into her eyes. "I'm sorry if it came out as blackmail. I want to be with you. I don't love anyone else."

Sophie's heart thumped in her chest.

"Soph, say something, please."

"I'm sorry for jumping to conclusions." Her mouth felt dry and her tongue felt fat. Had he just said he loved her in an indirect way? She watched him run a hand through his blond hair, the hair she desperately loved.

His gaze fell to the ground. "When you were in the water, swimming away from the boat, swimming to save Kelly—swimming really well, mind you—I knew you didn't need me to rescue you."

Sophie swallowed. "I probably did; I was just too angry to admit it. But I did mean what I said out there. I will forever be thankful for you teaching me. Your lessons saved my life."

"When I saw you out there, I couldn't not go after you. I hope I feel exactly the same way as you do. The other night with you was so prefect until...well...until it ended. I'm sorry for not going after you, but I couldn't bear the thought of losing you again, Soph. I can't let you run away from me now because...well it's quite simple really... I love you."

He'd said it again. He loved her.

Emotions soared through her body and she flung her arms around his neck. Her pulse raced and she buried her face in his chest. She knew the right words to say. "I love you, too." She breathed words of truth.

He tilted her face toward him and his lips were immediately on hers. He kissed her, gently at first, but a surge of electricity charged through them. With a swift move he pulled her hard against his body. She felt tingly and didn't want him to stop.

Sophie heard laughter in the background and pulled away from Matthew. "Shall we get out of here?" she panted, hearing a wolf whistle. Matthew looked over his shoulder at a crowd huddled over the boat railing. Of course her whole office had watched the scene, Jessica and Carol both grinning like crazy. Sophie felt her ears burn, but she was also somewhat lucky, for at least there was no public groping.

"Let's go now," Matthew said, putting his arm around her shoulders and directing her toward the pavement.

"We can't leave soon enough."

"Miss Mermaid Sophie Smart, I'm coming home with you. Or you're coming home with me."

Sophie smiled. There was absolutely no doubt about that.