Chapter 11- Innocence

"So you're saying she hit you first?"

"That's what I've been telling you for the past thirty minutes officer." I said with a tight lipped smile.

I was currently sitting behind a silver desk in a small room with only one window. It looked like a mirror but I knew people were watching me from the other side. They had taken my gym bag and my cell phone and now they were questioning me about 'attacking' that girl.

"Now what reason would she have to-" The officer was interrupted by another man stepping into the room.

"Sir, we reviewed the surveillance from the stadium. The girl is telling the truth." He explained. A smug smile appeared on my lips as they told me I was free to go. They gave me back my things and walked me out to the main room.

"We contacted your family and arranged you a ride home." He pointed across the room and my heart dropped.

Mom.

She slowly stood up and walked over to me. Her arms wrapped tightly around my torso as she said, " I was so worried. I've missed you so much. Come on, Tony is waiting in the car."

"Get the hell off of me." I hissed in her ear. I shoved her away and she gasped. "What are you even doing here? You made it very clear that you didn't want to see me or dad ever again."

"They called and said you had been brought in for questioning but your dad wasn't available. I was the only other person that could come and get you released.

What makes her think she could just come back into my life and it would all be okay? I turned away from her as tears of anger and confusion welled up in my eyes. I ran to the bathroom and locked myself in. I could hear my mom outside the door but I ignored her as I rummaged through my bag to find my cellphone. I had several missed calls and texts from the team. But the only name I cared about was Jordan's. I called him immediately.

"Hello?" He answered. He sounded groggy like he just woke up. Right, it's probably late.

"Jordan? It's Alex."

"Alex? Where are you? Coach said you got held up when we asked why you weren't on the bus." Of course. Coach must have come looking for me and talked to a police officer or something.

"Just a little held up. Do you think you could come and get me? Pretty please?" I asked.

"Alex." He whined. "It's almost midnight."

"I know. Look, my only other way home is with my mom and Tony. Please come and get me." I begged him through the phone.

"Where are you and what the hell are they doing there?" That got his attention. I could hear his car engine in the background.

"Erm.. I'm at the Blue Mountain Police Station." I informed him.

"Not surprising. But you're explaining everything when I get there. And it will take me at least fifteen minutes. Will you be okay until then?"

"I'll be fine. Thanks so much Jordan."

"No problem." The line clicked dead.

I waited in  the bathroom for about ten minutes and texted my teammates back, telling them I would explain on Monday. I was about to text Parker back when somebody banged on the door.

"Come on it's late and Tony wants to get home. He's going to get angry." My mom's voice drifted through the door.

Tony was her lowlife asshole of a husband. She left us for him when I was in fifth grade. He's a druggy with a short temper and got my mom hooked on cocaine. That's why I don't see her anymore.

"Hurry up already!" Tony yelled through the door.

There was a silence and then the doorknob began to jiggle. The door slowly creaked open and Tony was standing next to a police officer whohad a key in his hand.

"We're leaving." Tony said sternly.

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me out to the parking lot. I yanked my hand away from him when we got to the car but he just took another grip on my arm.

"I said we're leaving. Now get in the damn car." He opened the back door and pointed to the ripped leather seat.

"I'm not going anywhere with you. I hissed while staring into his bloodshot brown eyes.

And with that I was hit for the second time that night. But this one came with more force than a marshmallow. He backhanded me across my right cheek and my head jerked to the side. The sting brought tears to my eyes.

"Now get in the god damn car!" He yelled while pushing me toward the open car door.

"Get off of her!" Jordan caught my arm before I could fall and pulled me away from Tony.

"Who the hell are you to tell me how to treat my daughter?" Tony looked at Jordan with hateful eyes.

"I am not your daughter." I seethed.

"Come on let's go." Jordan wrapped his hand around mine and pulled me towards his car.

"Fuck." I heard Tony curse behind us. Then he started his car and sped out of the parking lot.

I got into the passenger seat and pulled the sun visor down to get to the mirror. My cheek was already spotted with red marks and my eye was swollen just a tiny bit.

"Damn what is his problem?" Jordan asked as he started the car.

"Drugs." I responded. I flipped the visor shut and leaned back in my seat. "Thanks for coming to get me."

"No problem. Am I taking you to the hospital?"

"Yeah. I wanna see my dad."

**Sorry it's been so long! I've been working on my new story The Girl Who Played With Fire!! Please check it out!!**