Chapter 2

Anne and I exchange numbers and agree to meet tomorrow. She says she needs to 'prep' me. Its a nice way of saying that I need to be groomed before I meet the yours truly.

On my way home I call my supervisor and tell him the job offer. I tell him that I would be the assistant of Harry Styles and help him run the company. He agrees that with a permit, it can be counted as credit. I need to talk to Harry about that.

Excited and happy, I ramp up the stairs to the apartment we all lived together before my parents died.

Its a new building so everything's nice but its never home without my parents.

I enter in from the wooden door and the apartment is quiet. If Avery was playing video games there would be shouting but now, its peacefully quiet.

I make a right down the hall and enter the living room. Avery is not there. I get back into the hall and make a left. The kitchen is empty as well. I walk to the very end of the hall and find him in our parents room.

"Avery? What are you doing?" I ask my brother who is going through my dads drawers. We haven't been in here for a really long time.

My mom made the bed the morning before she died so we decided we would not touch anything in there. I covered the bed with a blank sheet and then we closed the door, only opening it when we absolutely need anything from in there.

It smells like my mothers perfume and my dads toothpaste and every time I go into this room, I feel an ache in my heart so its best to keep the door closed. Avery used to cry every time he went in here and smelled my moms scent so we decided we should lock the door and keep out of here.

"I didn't have a suit but I have a job interview tomorrow. I need one." Avery takes a suit thats perfectly folded and ensemble out of dads cupboard.

He was a Virgo after all...

Avery holds it up against him in the window as I slowly enter inside the room.

"Job?" I ask him to keep myself busy.

"Yeah. I thought since I fucked this up, I should clean it up. I am going to work as a barista in the coffee shop downtown. They pay by the hour." He smiles at me and I force one out. I get ready to tell him thats already covered when he shuts me up.

"Only if you and your brain figured something else out. If you have, I won't work." He chuckles as I stuff the words back into my mouth. If I tell him I got the money, he'll go back to slacking again.

He will do nothing with his life and I love him too much to let him do that.

"I couldn't come up with something that could clean this mess." I force a smile and he nods and then continues to compare suits.

I know its wrong to put him under all that stress but he won't work any other way. He has to get himself together and if this is the only way, so be it.

My brother is a kind of person who has a good heart but is too emotional or too lazy to function sometimes. He gets too overwhelmed in his thoughts and sometimes he won't do something until he absolutely needs to.

He picks one finally and we shut the room back up and then have a eventless dinner continued by watching Dexter.

I tell him I got jumped and it makes him angry, even more fueled to work and pay this back.

We go to bed, him stressed and anxious and me, excited and guilty.

I wake up to a sunny but breezy New York morning. Its 7:05 on a Saturday morning. Anne said I should meet her in this very fancy hair salon in Manhattan at 8 by text last night. I figured where it was and that I should go by the subway.