Chapter Three

(That pic tho. So smexy)

Jem's POV:

The cold, metalic, half broken hand grasps my wrist tightly. I felt my heart lurch from surprise as my Shadowhunter instincts kicked in. I didn't have any weapons on me, so I tried to use brute strength to try and knock it off. The creature only held on with more strength, making it feel like the bone in my wrist would snap. Dammit.. if only I had taken more Yin Fen earlier.

I felt a searing pain in my shoulder. Thick red blood poured out of the puncture wound the animatron just made. I choked from pain, grabbing hold of the long piece of metal that had stabbed through me.

"Jem!" I heard Will's voice over the sound of rusted gears turning, "Ariel!" Will shouted, and a blinding white light filled the room. For a brief moment, I could clearly see the clockwork creature, Seraph blade pierced through it's chest. Gradually, the beast's grip on my arm loosened, and I was able to break free from it's hold. However, the damage I had sustained was too much. My vision went black and I collapsed to the floor.

Will's POV:

After slaying the animatron again, I carried Jem's fallen body to the institute infirmiry. I layed his limp body into bed, and tore off his shirt to get a better view of the wound. In his shoulder was a deep, gushing puncture. It went all the way through, blood seeping from both sides of him. He was losing blood, and fast.

Will, stay calm... I could tell that my panic was hindering my abilities. I needed to get myself together to help Jem. I pulled my shirt up and over my head. I used the material to try and put pressure of the gash.

"W-Will! What happened?!" Sophie must have heard the commotion and came running here.

"No matter what happened, get me a stele," I ordered, sending the maid-servant running around the room in search for the tool.

"I know we have one in here..." Sophie's little hands rummaged through drawers and on shelves until she found a stele and ran it over to me, "Here you are!" She was clearly worried sick, "Now you take care of him, I'll Fetch Charlotte!" I nodded, making sure Sophie knew I would take good care of Jem. With my reassurance, she ran out of the room to look for Charlotte.

I focused my attention exclusively on James. With a stele now in my hands, I began carefully tracing an iratze rune over his injury. Jem, even in sleep, cringed with pain. He clenched his teeth and arched his back. I had to gulp back my fear of hurting him. I have to... I urged myself, It'll only get worse if I don't.

Soon, Charlotte ran into the infirmiry, Henry and Tessa tailing close behind her.

I finished drawing my iratze before turning to face the lot of them, "What the hell, Henry?" I stared the ginger down angrily, "You said that thing was dead! So why the hell did James get attacked!?"

"I'm sorry, William, I didn't realize it still had some life in it," Henry excused himself. Charlotte stepped in the protect him.

"Don't get angry, Will, use your energy for taking care of Jem. You're his Parabatai; you will do a better job than any one of us."

I wanted to keep fighting, but I knew Charlotte was right. If anyone were to make Jem feel better right now, it would be me. After all, in a time of need I could always let James use my power. He doesn't like it when I do that, says something about how it's not fair on me, but it's always an option.

"Tessa?" I heard Jem's quiet voice. I turned around as quickly as I could, and saw Jem, awake and sitting up. He had both of Tessa's hands in his and was smiling. Smiling like he wasn't just impaled by an evil creature that wanted him dead.

"James," I said, interrupting the pair's beautiful moment, "Have you taken any Yin Fen today? You probably should... You lost a lot of blood."

"I'm fine, Will--" Jem began coughing. He covered his mouth with his hand, resulting only in bright red liquid being smeared up the side of his cheek, "T-Tessa, please leave. I don't want you worrying about me unnecessarily." James smiled kindly at her, and Tessa nodded.

"Will, promise that you'll make Jem better."

"I promise," I rolled my eyes, "Now get out." Tessa left the room, and Charlotte and Henry left soon after.

"Don't be jealous, Will," Jem stated, seemingly out of nowhere.

"What would I be jealous of?" I said, feeling myself start to blush.

"Of Tessa," he replied calmly.

"Of Tessa?" I asked.

"Yeah."

"And why would I be jealous of that?" I didn't think I was jealous, but the way my heart beat was speeding up, I didn't even know anymore. Is it really possible to be jealous of my best friend?