Chapter 10

It wasn't until later that I realised there was a problem with my plan. Liam didn't eat or drink any more, at least not with me, so how was I going to get him to take the sleeping tablets? There was nothing I could do apart from ask him to join me for a meal again.

I stood at the bedroom door listening but all seemed to be quiet. Taking a deep breath I went into the hall and turned towards the studio.

As usual the door was locked. I knocked but there was no reply. I knocked again, louder this time. "Liam, please open the door. We need to talk."

I waited but there was still no response. I tried knocking again. I put my ear against the door and could hear faint muttering, but no approaching footsteps or any other sound that signified that Liam had even heard me.

"Liam, please." I tried again but suddenly the temperature dropped. The studio door started banging against the lock. I could hear whispers getting louder, seeming to say my name over and over again, "Harriet. Harriet."

I couldn't help myself, I had to run. I dashed straight back to the bedroom, slammed the door, and leaned against it as it pushed against me. The curtains started blowing, the drawers in the chest opened and closed themselves, the light turned itself off then back on. I wanted to scream but couldn't make a sound.

And then it was over. The temperature went back to normal. The door stopped straining against me. The whispering voices had gone away.

I flung myself down onto the bed. I was so overwrought I couldn't even cry. My plan was a complete failure and, try as I might, I couldn't come up with an alternative one. I just lay there staring at the ceiling until eventually I fell asleep.

Hunger drove me to the kitchen. With Liam's absence I hadn't bothered making meals for ages. I mostly lived on sandwiches or toast and coffee. This afternoon I wanted more than that.

There wasn't much choice as food shopping hadn't been high on my priorities lately. A quick look around and I found eggs, cheese and a couple of tomatoes. I would make them all into a massive omelette, sit at the table and eat the lot.

Just before I'd finished cooking the kitchen door opened. It made me jump but I was determined to appear casual. Slowly I turned my head, half expecting to see 'them', but it was Liam standing there.

"I'm sorry, Harry. I don't know what's been going on but I'm so hungry. Have you got enough for both of us." Liam sounded so tired and sad.

Maybe he really didn't remember what had been happening. Maybe he was better now and everything would be all right and we'd be able to leave this place without a fight. Even while I was thinking these things my mind was working on how I could trick Liam into taking the tablets.

"Hi, Liam. I haven't seen much of you for ages. Are you feeling better now?" How could I keep myself calm when I didn't know what to expect. I was waiting for the banging and whispering to start, but everything felt calm to me apart from myself. "Of course I'll share this with you. Sit down; I've just got a few last minute touches to do."

I was sure I'd seen some parsley in the fridge. Yes, there it was. Going over to the workbench and turning my back on Liam I started to chop the parsley. I felt in my pocket. The tablets were still there.

"Liam, could you do me a favour and just stop the omelette from burning for a minute?" If he was over the other side of the room my sudden plan just might work.

Ten tablets; I guessed that would be enough to knock Liam out without doing any lasting damage. I quickly crushed them and added them to the parsley together with a dash of garlic salt. I walked over to the cooker and stood next to Liam, willing my hand not to shake as I added the herb mixture and folded the omelette over.

"Now we just need some plates and then we can eat." Please don't talk too much, I instructed myself. Don't let on that you are nervous.

I divided the omelette between us. I'd be okay if I ate around the edge and avoided the centre. My hunger had vanished anyway, but I'd need to choke down some or Liam would wonder why I was cooking it in the first place.

We ate in silence. There didn't seem to be any give away nasty taste. After a slow start Liam was tucking in as though he hadn't eaten in weeks which, as far as I knew, was true. When he had finished his own I handed him what was left of mine saying, "You have it. I'm really not that hungry. How about some wine?"

I was already opening the bottle when Liam said, "Okay, that would be nice." I knew that any sort of alcohol would increase the effect of the sleeping pills. I'd make sure just to sip at my own drink. I would need to be able to drive if we were going to have a chance of making an escape.

But what could we talk about while I was waiting for sleep to take Liam over. Art was out, moving was out, the gallery was out and what had been happening was certainly out. The garden; I'd talk about plans for that.

I was just about to open my mouth to speak when Liam put his head down on the table, shut his eyes and went straight into a deep sleep.