Chapter 7 - Adelaide

Mulai dari awal

Officer Mirosson charged out of the room with all the rage of hell in his eyes.

"That stupid little bitch" He loaded his arrow and searched the hall.

Cadalian held up his hand.

"Remember what Brenda said"

Mirosson reluctantly lowered his bow.

"What are we supposed to do? Treat her like a princess? She should be in Lethe with all the other witches".

Adelaide cringed at the derogatory name for Enchanters. Years ago, people used to be suspicious of Enchanters, an idea implanted in their minds by corrupted leaders who were looking for a scapegoat. After the calm had been broken when Amiticia declared war on Concordia all the problems it seemed were caused by magic. Those who had the power to possess magic were often prejudiced. Some people even went to the extreme, burning down Enchanter's homes with the people still inside. Now things were different. Enchanters were respected people; teachers, healers, priests, law enforcers. Hardly anyone used offensive names for them anymore.

Officer Cadalian sighed. "We were ordered to take Adelaide to Brenda the minute she gained consciousness. Nothing else".

"I'd really like to get some answers, so if you could have your lover's quarrel some other time" Adelaide said.

The two men glared at her. She didn't particularly feel that well but she wanted to know who this Brenda person was and what she wanted with Adelaide. She let the guards take her along the rocky-faced tunnels until they reached what looked like an office.

There were filing cabinets lining every wall, folders strewn across the floor and piles of paper on the desk. Behind the desk sat a middle aged woman with dark wavy hair. She seemed incongruous to the dank low light office. She wore a cotton baby pink jumper and blue jeans – like something out of a Trirarian movie. When she noticed Adelaide at the doorway, a warm smile spread across her face.

"Oh, you're awake. And so soon" she said. "I see you've meet my son. I hope you didn't scare the poor lass too much".

"No mum" Officer Cadalian said and shut the door behind him.

"I'm Brenda. Sit, sit. We have much to discuss" Brenda said beckoning her to the seat in front of her desk.

"Do we?" Adelaide said. She stayed standing.

"Yes. There is the matter of why you are here".

"I'm guessing you want a ransom or something?" Adelaide said.

Brenda's eyes went dark.

"I do not desire money. What I wish for most in the world is peace. I believe you can bring that"

Adelaide scowled. "You speak of peace yet you kidnapped me, thinking I would help you?"

"Kidnapped you? If it weren't for me and my team elite team of soldiers-"

"Those are not an elite team of soldiers" Adelaide scoffed.

"And I suppose your AIA are?" Brenda said. Her pleasant demur cracking. "I'm sorry I'm getting side-tracked. This is my underground labyrinth. Over a hundred acres of magical workshops. Enchanters from all over the globe dwell within these walls".

Adelaide found it hard to take in. "How is that possible?"

"I know it's overwhelming. But there are people who are less excited about my ideas. Don't agree with the way I treat Enchanters. But those people won't be in charge for long. Not when Erebus is through with them".