Descended continued...

Chapter Four 

The Truth Shall Set You Free 

 Today was the day Dr. Goodwin would have all the test results. He had called a meeting to discuss them, and although Violet wasn't the slightest bit worried, knowing she'd faked her amnesia, Henry was distraught and anxious to hear what the doctor had to say. Violet tried her best to calm him down, telling him she knew everything would be fine, but it didn't seem to help. Henry just paced the floor like he always did when he was nervous. 

"Dad, come, sit," Violet told him. "You're going to wear a hole right through the floor with your pacing." 

Henry reluctantly stopped and joined Violet, sitting beside her on the bed. The door opened and Dr. Goodwin walked in. 

"How's my favorite patient doing today?" he asked Violet. 

"She would be better if she could get out of here," Violet responded. 

"I'm insulted. Dr. Goodwin looked at her with a slight frown. You're not enjoying my company?" 

"Of course I am! Everyone here has been wonderful to me." Violet gave an apologetic smile. 

"I'm teasing you, honey; I know you want to go home. I am here to tell you: wish granted!" 

Those were Violet's two favorite words. Until today, Gabriel was the only person who had ever spoken those words to her. Whenever Violet wanted something bad enough, Gabriel would do his best to see to it that she got her wish, even though he always made her sweat before delivering those two magic words, "wish granted". Violet knew angels had the power to grant wishes in their own world, but she hadn't expected her wishes to be granted here. Dr. Goodwin's news was going to be good and Violet knew it. 

Violet noticed Henry's hands were shaking as he took her small hand in his larger one, squeezing it tightly while Dr. Goodwin opened his folder, preparing to deliver his findings to them. She knew her father's nerves were getting the better of him. She felt horrible having to put him through all of this just so she could separate herself intimately from Vivian's boyfriend Jeremy. 

Dr. Goodwin cleared his throat and then spoke. "We didn't see anything in the tests that would be cause for concern." Violet started clapping her hands and smiling at Henry.  

Henry was happy about the results but was still concerned about why his daughter was experiencing memory loss. He expressed these concerns to his friend Dr. Goodwin, anxious for some answers. 

Doc directed his attention to Henry and said, "I believe Vivian has what is known as Dissociative Amnesia." Henry looked confused and Violet thought that it was ironic that there was actually a name for her make-believe amnesia. 

"What is this Dis...assoc... whatever you called it?" Henry couldn't even repeat the foreign-sounding words back to the doctor.  

"Dissociative Amnesia results from a psychological cause, as opposed to direct damage to the brain. That's good news for Vivian on that front. Her amnesia is most likely caused by a psychological trauma and is usually temporary, although every case is different. She seems to be exhibiting symptoms concurrent with repressed memory, which is a subcategory of the Dissociative Amnesia." Doc could see Henry was having a hard time processing the diagnosis.  

"In layman's terms, doc?" Henry pleaded. 

"Let me see if I can explain it another way," Doc said. "Repressed memory is the inability to recall information, usually about stressful or traumatic events in a person's life. The information gets stored in long term memory," he explained further, "but access to it is impaired because of psychological defense mechanisms."