Chapter 5

Two weeks had passed and Jess was still unconscious. He had been fighting the tetanus infection as strong as he could, but in order to do that, the doctors had to keep in somewhat of a medical coma. They needed to get his body enough time and rest to fully fight the infection.

"Luke." Lorelei whispered, two coffee's in her hand. She came by every other day before work, always showing up late, but she insisted it was okay.

"Hey, Lorelei." Luke whispered back, startled by the Gilmore's appearance. He had been lost in his thoughts, staring at the pale thin frame of his nephew. Jess had lost some weight, all from not being able to physically eat seeing as he was in a coma. But he was getting all the nutrients he needs through an IV.

"How's he doing?" She asked, sitting down in a chair by Luke.

"Down another pound, so eating is something I'll have to enforce until he's normal again. He hasn't woken up, but his brain activity is normal and he can most likely hear us. He'll remember what we are saying now if he's paying attention." Luke said, sighing as he looked at Jess.

//~~~~~~~~~\\

Darkness. It was all Jess Mariano could see. Thoughts swam inside of his brain causing a massive headache, but there was nothing that could be done.

Terror swelled inside him once he had realized he couldn't move. He couldn't even move his eyes in his eyelids. The one real sense he had left was hearing. Familiar voices could be plucked out from the unfamiliar ones. Luke was the main one and then this doctor man who's name Jess hadn't bothered to learn yet. Lorelei was there every so often, even Rory. Heck, Liz had even come by.

//~~~~~~~~~\\

"Do you think he can hear us?" Lorelei asked, smiling at Luke. Luke sat up a little and shrugged.

"Who knows. I mean he could, but it would be likely or unlikely. I don't even really know." Luke answered, watching Jess' chest move up and down as he breathed.

"He should wake up soon, right?" Lorelei asked, taking a sip of her coffee.

"Yes. He should." Luke said, knowing this answer with 100% certainty.