Chapter Three

Matthew couldn't believe it. He had been invited to a house party by his employers, and had been told just what sorts of people would be there. But never in all of his life had he imagined that She would be there. He finally had the chance to learn her name, and, if the right opportunity occurred, he could be introduced to her.

Lucie  sighed. So many gentlemen, and all would want to be introduced to her, surely. She stood on tip-toes as she tried to see if the gentleman was here. Was that him? Over there in the corner? It must be, mustn't it? Lucie couldn't remember seeing anyone who'd had hair as blonde as he.

It was a chance introduction between Matthew Crawley and Lucinda-Anne Cuthbert. She mentioned that she needed a solicitor here in England, and the man, a Mr. James Collins of Pancreas Hall, she spoke to introduced her to his solicitor, Matthew Crawley.

"Ah, Mr. Crawley" said Mr. Collins, "I'd like to introduce you to Miss Cuthbert. Miss Cuthbert, Matthew Crawley, my solicitor."

Matthew could hardly believe his luck. That woman, the very same woman he'd been dreaming about for three months, was being introduced to him. And she'd come up to him, not the other way round. This was a good sign...right?

Lucie stared at the man. So this was the man she'd thought was that man. Well obviously he wasn't. She'd been pretty sure of it the moment Mr. Collins had taken her over to him, but the very second she'd seen his face she was certain. He wasn't here. This wasn't the man, and there was no man here that looked anything like him, apart from this man in front of her. Would she ever find him? She'd planned it all out, how she'd ensnare him, the only problem was that he wasn't here.

Matthew was already ensnared by Lucie, yet she didn't realise it. And what he didn't realise was the reason she was looking at him like that wasn't because she loved him, but because he wasn't the man she loved.