Chapter 3

I followed closely down yet another corridor that ended in a set of large, wooden doors. Harmony hesitated slightly before knocking three times and leaning in, waiting for a response.

"Who is it?" a voice said from behind the door.

"Master Jake, it is Harmony. I am here with a present from Ms. Deidra."

"Well, come in then," Master Jake said.

Harmony swiftly opened the door and presented me in front of him.

Master Jake was unlike any other being I had ever met. He was gorgeous, as most vampires are, but he seemed almost better than them. His dark hair fell in his face, curling slightly at the ends and giving him a tousled, just got out of bed look. His eyes were what struck me most, though. Where every other set of eyes I had seen had been cold and hard, his seemed to hold depth and warmth. Almost like melted cocoa when I think about it.

"Well, well, well.... Who do we have here?" he asked, his voice holding a dangerous edge. Though his eyes gave the impression of warmth, his voice did just the opposite.

I didn't dare speak, I'd been warned of speaking when not directly spoken to.

"SPEAK," he commanded, causing a chill to run down my spine.

"Angel, Sir," I responded loud and clear.

"Interesting...." he seemed to be contemplating something, "Harmony, you may leave."

As Harmony hurried out of the room I had to restrain myself from begging her to stay. I was scared of this man, this beast who was now my owner. His voice was sharp and his eyes, despite their initial warmth, seemed to dance with an evil mischief behind them.

This man was a monster.

I heard a low chuckle escape Master Jake's lips, "Is that really what you think of me, Slave?" he asked.

"I'm sorry?"

"You think I'm a monster?" he explained.

"No," I replied robotically.

"Don't bother lying to me," he said, "It won't work."

"I am afraid I do not understand," I crinkled my forehead in confusion.

"Don't do that," he snapped and I changed my expression to neutral.

He continued, "You see, Slave, I have a few... abilities that you may want to make yourself aware of. First, I can read minds. That's how I knew what you were thinking and that is also how I know that you're 16 and have barely been touched before."

I bit the inside of my cheek at his frank analysis as he went on.

"I can speak to others through thought, and if need be, I can change your thoughts to fit my own purposes."

That was a threat, I was certain of it. If I had not been so scared of the idea, I would have wanted to know more about these skills, but for the time being, I stayed silent.

"You may speak, you know," Master Jake said, "I'll allow it this time."

I cleared my throat quietly, "Is there anything I may do for you, Master Jake?"

"Not today," he responded in a neutral manner, somehow retaining his threatening tone, "You may leave if you want."

"Thank you, Master Jake," I curtseyed gracefully and left.

Once back at the chambers, I let out a sigh of relief. I felt very uneasy around Master Jake and I didn't like it one bit.

"How was it?" Harmony asked.

"Dreadful," I replied, "I do not trust him."

"You were right, Harmony, she is proper," one of the girls said, entering the room.

This must be Melody. The two girls looked almost identical, safe for the scar that was absent on the other's face.

"I'm Melody," the girl said, answering my suspicions.

"I'm Angel," I replied, "It is a pleasure to meet you."

Just then, two more girls entered the room. One with short, black hair and a sharp, yet kind face, and another with soft brown waves down her back and hazel eyes. They were both very pretty, but had stark contrast in looks. Where the first seemed poised and tiny with piercing green eyes, the other had a warmer, more gentler look.

"Lidia, Magdalene, this is Angel," Harmony introduced.

"Hello," Magdalene, the brunette, smiled showing dimples at the corners of her cheeks.

Lidia smiled, but stayed silent.

"You'll have to excuse her," Harmony explained, "Lidia hardly talks, and when she does, it isn't much. She'll come around though."

"That is okay," I replied, smiling back at the silent girl.

"So you're the fresh meat," Melody said, "How's everything going?"

"It is... Different," I replied, putting a positive spin on my words.

"You hate him too, huh?" she gave me a pitying look.

"I do not hate him," I explained, "Am I afraid of him? Yes, but I do not hate him. I have no reason to."

"No reason yet," Melody muttered.