Chapter 1

I didn't plan it this way. No one does. Who would want to serve a life of pain and suffering? The lucky ones die within a week. The rest of us can only hope for the same. I was once a normal girl. I had a happy family and my whole life ahead of me. So how did I end up here?

It happened on my fifth birthday. I don't remember it for the most part, and what I do remember comes in brief flashes. Either way, I was taken away from my family and the life I had ahead of me to be sold at The Auctions. I've been in the same household all my life, so I don't know very much about them or how they work other than from what I've heard.

The first thing you need to know is vampires exist. They don't 'live among us' or sparkle like we hear in story books. They live in their own secluded society, away from the rest of us. Every now and then, they take humans (mostly the homeless, those who won't cause trouble when they turn up missing) and sell them at a huge auction held every year. Everyone is priced based on health, age, and purity (non smoking, non drinking, virgin, etc. They consider it to be better blood with a 'purer' human.) and then they're 'dolled up' and put on a stage where they're auctioned off to the highest bidder. Whoever wins becomes your Master and you must honor and serve them until you die or get auctioned off to another household.

Today, exactly eleven years after I was first taken, I'm going back to The Auctions. I've been preparing for this day since I was five, the day that I am of prime age to be sold. My family (or at least what I call my family) has taught me all I need to know about my roll. There are three main rules:

1. Always refer to your Master as 'Master' unless otherwise specified.

2. Do not make eye contact unless addressed and do not talk unless addressed (technically that's two, but it's grouped into one).

3. ALWAYS do what your Master says.

There are a whole bunch more, but those are the three most important ones. Aside from that, I've been taught how to speak both English and French (not to mention a bit of Latin) and I have a high school level education. All this and more was necessary for this day.

"Miss Angel?"

I looked up at the sound of my name. It's not the one I was born with, but I liked it anyway, "Yes, Master Mortran?"

"We are here. Miss Grace will be assisting you today," he pointed towards a fairly small looking girl with light brown hair and grey eyes. Her hair was pulled back into a long braid that went halfway down her back and she wore all gray clothing which added to the washed-out look of her face. She smiled lightly and motioned for me to follow her.

I did as told and followed her into a large room with several mirrors and dressing rooms. First, I was directed to a changing room where I was told to put on a very tight, black dress that barely managed to cover what was necessary. It was low-cut, strapless, and went to just below my butt with a huge, lace-up back. Needless to say, it was very uncomfortable.

Next, I was given a pair of 4 inch heels which, added to my monstrous height, made me exactly 6 feet and 2 inches tall. Luckily, I knew how to wear up to 6 inch heels so these were a breeze.

Once I was dressed, Miss Grace sat me down in front of one of the mirrors and got to work on my hair.

About fifteen minutes later, my dark brown hair was in soft curls all the way down my back. I was wearing mascara and a bit of red lipstick to add some colour to my ensemble. Before I could thank her, Miss Grace was already pulling me towards the edge of the stage. In about ten more seconds, I would walk onto that stage and the announcer would state my name, age, and other interesting facts. The auctioning would begin, and afterwards, I would have my new home. I took a deep breath and counted back from five. When I reached one, I closed my eyes and took my first step onto the stage.

"And here we have number 52164, Angel. Angel has been in the business since she was five. She can speak fluent English and French, high school education, non-smoker, non-drinker, virgin, blood type A, and she just turned 16 today. Let's start the bidding at 900 thousand."

That was pretty good. The highest starting point a blood slave (that's what we're called) can have is one million. I glanced down at the crowd and was met with hundreds of cold, hungry eyes. Resisting the urge to vomit, I smiled and gave a small turn.

As the price went up, I got more and more nervous. Soon this would end and I would have a new Master. I would step down from the stage and, after the correct paperwork was signed, I would go back to my new home and a new household. As you may have guessed, I over think a lot, especially when I'm anxious.

"50 million!" I heard someone call. How we ended up there, I haven't a clue, but it was impressive all the same.

The room went silent, no one willing to match the price, "Okay, 50 million. Going once? Going twice? Sold to the man at the back for 50 million!"

I silently gasped and stepped down to where the announcer was standing. 'The man at the back', or so he'd been called earlier, stepped to the front of the crowd. He was taller than me and most likely stronger too. He wore black jeans, a leather jacket, and he vaguely reminded me of a bodyguard.

"I'd like to pay in cash," he said calmly, handing the announcer a large envelope.

The announcer took the envelope skeptically and searched its contents. Once satisfied, he handed over some papers and the man signed them accordingly.

The whole time I couldn't stop staring. I could imagine I looked a lot like a deer caught in headlights, all wide-eyed terror. I couldn't help it though, it was my first time in eleven years that I had been here and I was more than a little unnerved by it all.

By the time we had reached the car, I was already planning on how to escape. Of course, I wasn't going to do anything about it. That would result in almost instant death or worse (yes there is worse. I just don't know what).

"You okay?" the man asked. He was a vampire, I could tell by his eyes. So dark I swear, they were like two black holes in the middle of his face.

"I suppose I am a little nervous," I said, being sure not to stutter or mumble.

"Well, as long as you follow the rules and obey Master Jake, you should be fine," he replied.

"Who is Master Jake?" I asked, although I was pretty sure of the answer.

"Master Jake is now your owner. You will be serving him."

I smiled, "I am looking forward to meeting him."

This made the man laugh darkly, "Trust me, you won't be thinking that much longer."