Chapter 4

Antonio POV
Antonio hummed merrily as he glided down the hallway to his little tomate's bedroom. Actually, it was his room, but Lovi needed it more. Besides, the couch was comfortable enough!

He stopped at the end of the hallway and rapped on the door, knowing from experience that Lovi did not like it when Antonio came in without knocking first.

Unease stirred in Antonio's stomach when no reply came from the other side. Not even the usual cantankerous grumble.

The Spaniard frowned. He couldn't be asleep; it was almost 10:00 am. Lovino always woke up earlier than his caretaker, usually around 7:00.

Maybe he was ignoring me...? Antonio panicked at the thought and, without thinking, burst into the room. "Lovi, don't ignore me!" He wailed. "I'm sorry for making you go into town yesterday, I--" Antonio stopped short at the sight before him.

Lovino was indeed asleep, but not as he should have been. Sweat-soaked hair was plastered to his forehead, and the sheets were twisted around his legs. He shivered and rolled over, moaning softly.

"Lovi?" Antonio gasped and ran to his bedside, feeling the skin of his brow. He was burning up.

Antonio started to panic, not knowing what to do. Was he sick? He had been fine yesterday... Yesterday! Antonio flashed back to the trip to town, and how Lovinito had broken his stitches crushing Francis's foot. He gently rolled the angel over and undid the bandages around his back.

"Ohhhh shit." The police officer muttered to himself. The wound was red and sore, with thick, yellowish pus seeping out. Red lines snaked down Lovino's back, indicating that the infection was in his bloodstream.

Antonio had no idea what to do. Simple first aid was no problem, but he didn't have any training in more complex matters. Lovino whimpered in his fitful sleep, kicking his leg out slightly.

It suddenly struck Antonio that he would need help with this. But I couldn't take him to the hospital, they could find out what he was. That left one person that he could call. Antonio took his cellphone out of his pocket and speed-dialed a number. Two rings and she picked up.

"Hey, Toni. I just got off work, do you need something?"

Antonio sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. Lovino certainly wasn't going to like this. Not to mention that if his secret got out, he'd never forgive Antonio.

"Toni? Hey, are you there?"

"I'm here, Belle. I need a favor. A friend got
hurt, and the wound is infected. I need you to take a look at it."

"Okay, I can probably fit you in at the clinic later, but I'm probably not the best to deal with this. I'm technically still a doctor in training, try asking--"

"No, I can't bring him in. I'll explain it to you later, but don't tell anyone about it. Could you meet me at my house with the supplies?"

He heard a sigh on the other side of the line.

"I don't know what this is about, but it sounds like you're serious. I'll be there in half an hour."

Antonio grinned.

"Thanks, Belle."

He hung up the phone and sat next to Lovino, hoping to all the gods that he hadn't just made a huge mistake. Either way, he'd find out when Belle arrived.

-------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Belle is Belgium, for those who don't know. Also, sorry for the short chapter, I was out sick, which really sucks when you're in high school, because then you have SO MUCH MAKEUP WORK. I swear the teachers have it out for me.