I bit on my lower lip. "Yeah, I know. He regrets..."

She raised her eyebrows and lowered her chin to stare right into my gray eyes. Her dark hair fell onto her face. "Oh, you mean he regrets giving you up?" she burst out laughing. "See, that's why Jace is an interesting case. Trust me, I'm his sister, and I don't even understand how his mind works." She sighed, an amused smile still on her face. "That's what he gets. I wish you guys were still together, but for my own benefit of course." She grabbed a second piece of bread, swept her spoon over the peanut butter, and started decking it onto the bread.

"What do you mean, for your own benefit?" I asked.

"Uh, hello? I may be emo, but I'm still a major fan girl. Anyway. Want some peanut butter?"

"No, thanks."

"You sure?" she held up the jar and ran her fingers across the label. "It's got extra nuts." She added a wink.

"I heard nuts!" Jace's voice rang out as he jumped off the last stair, approaching us. "Which is why I'm here." His eyes landed on the jar of peanut butter. "Yes, my favorite kind." He picked up the sandwich Gwen made and bit into it. "God, I love you, sis."

"That was mine!"

I watched as the two went back and forth, arguing over the sandwich.

I couldn't help it. I missed Jace. With everything I had, I missed him. But I had to respect the boy I was dating, Nolan. I knew what it felt like to be cheated on; to have your heart ripped out of your chest because someone didn't reciprocate your love. I didn't want to do that to him.

But Jace had insisted we go on a date, just to make Nolan happy. And... Nolan was an amazing human being. Honestly, we needed more people like him on this planet. I think that was why he had found his way into my heart, not to lie, because I wanted his goodness in my life. But Jace made me feel whole. Jace couldn't be compared to. What's sad was, Nolan knew this, yet he loved me unconditionally. He knew that when it came to Jace, he had to take the back seat, and that tugged at my heart.

I wished the situation was more black and white. I wished I'd stop falling for people I had no business falling for, but I couldn't.

And somewhere along the line, Jace decided that me being with Nolan was better. He convinced himself that he'd just hurt me even if he didn't want to, no matter how many times I assured him that wasn't the case. He didn't trust himself, so he wouldn't budge.

I did like Nolan. A lot. But my heart knew exactly who it wanted, but that person wouldn't have it.

I mentally groaned and rubbed my forehead. Dammit. I understood that he was trying to 'repair' Nolan for lack of a better word, but all this was doing was breaking him, whether he could see it or not. Even though Nolan had less panic attacks, more sleep, and an overall sense of happiness, there was still damage being done. I was afraid that if I didn't let him go now, things would get awry.

But I didn't want to let him go.

I looked up. "Jace," I called.

He gazed at me with wide brown eyes, his sandwich stuck in his mouth as he waited for me to speak.

"You're an idiot, you know that right?" I said for the umpteenth time today.

He just nodded. "I get it." He said when he took the sandwich out of his mouth.

Gwen giggled. "Don't feel bad, Jace, he still loves you."

Jace's eyes met mine and he looked hopeful, wanting me to say the words and reassure him.