*22*

--Alicia Keys as Maya--

"You're making me not want to go to work," Justin complained to me as he neared his fiancée's
house.

"Ah, too bad." I smirked. He glanced at me then focused on the road.

"Is it just me or are you more relaxed in cars now?"

I looked at my hand holding the seatbelt. "I am?"

"Well, you're not grasping for your life, at least. Progress."

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever you say, big brother."

He pulled up his car on the driveway outside of Kalani and her friend's little house.

"I have to run, but tell greet her for me," Justin told me as I got out.

"She's gonna be mad she didn't get to see you," I teased him.

"I'll see her when I come to pick you up."

"Okay, thanks. Drive safe or I'll worry!"

I watched him leave and I sighed, hoping he'd get to work in one piece.

Kalani shared a home with a very close friend of hers. This was the second time I'd come here so I'd only met her friend once.

Honestly, I wasn't coming to visit Kalani. I wanted to see Zion, and not just because I'd promised to see him.

This was why forgiving Anderson seemed so effortless. He grew attached to me whenever I
rushed over to pet his dog. I was sure he always spoke to me in those moments, or tried to
make me laugh.

That was how I felt with Zion.
The door opened and Kalani let out an excited laugh once she set her brown eyes on me.

"What a surprise!" Throwing her arms around me in a hug, she moved backwards to let me in.

"Hey, Nolan!" she shut the door.

"Hi, Kalani. Um, if it doesn't bother you..." I fidgeted, remembering what she told Justin about me. "I-I came to check on Zion."

Her eyes widened. "Oh! No, of course it's okay. You know Zion?"
I nodded and she looked confused but didn't budge. "Well, he was just eating." She giggled.

"He's got his entire face stained with pasta sauce! Come, he's in here." She guided me to the
little dining room, which had a small table and three chairs.

I lit up when I saw Zion's small form as he ate his spaghetti. He had completely disregarded his
fork and was using his hands to eat. And, as Kalani had said, the area around his mouth was red from the sauce.

"Baby, look who came to see you!" Kalani sat down next to him as he looked up. He squealed and jumped in his seat.

"Lolan!" was what he called me.

"Zion, sweetheart. You okay?" I came closer and he grabbed some spaghetti. "I eat pasta!"

"I see. Is it good?"

"Mhm!"

I chuckled and glanced at Kalani. "So, how are you and Candace?" I asked. Candace was her best friend and roommate.

"We're doing well. She actually went out to buy some food and toys for Zion."

"Oh, alright. I heard you were moving with Justin."

She nodded happily. "I can't wait. Candace was planning to go live with her sister, so she's totally okay with it. What about you? I hope I'm not stealing Justin away too much."