Chapter 8: Attack

Déorhild watched the broad path that lead up to the old guarding place on the other side of the mountain as dark forms came closer. The bravery that had welled up in her a few minutes ago had disappeared and fear had taken its place. She drew her sword and held it upright in front of her, trying to keep herself steady. Suddenly, she heard the sound of hoofbeast behind her and she whirled around to find Éomer cantering towards her on his horse while leading her own. He jumped down, smiled, and said, "I would never leave you unless you could not come with me."

Éomer and Déorhild got on their horses whilst they rode towards the other end of the village, turned around, and waited. Déorhild nocked an arrow to her bow, but did not aim yet. Then when the orcs came into the center of the village and halted, she let her arrow fly. It hit the orc who appeared to be the leader and he fell dead. The orcs, angered at the death of their leader, charged forward with a terrible cry. Likewise, Éomer and Déorhild shouted and rode forward. Déorhild fired arrows until she came too close to the orcs for it to do any good. Then she drew her sword and, along with Éomer, slashed her sword through any orc that came too close. At first, it looked like she and Éomer might win this attack. But then the tables turned.

Another orc horn was sounded and Éomer and Déorhild paused, their strokes in midair, before fighting again. Suddenly, Déorhild's horse was killed under her and she fell to the ground, ducked, and stabbed her sword through the orc who almost killed her like he did her horse. She swung her sword around, kicked one orc before killing another, and ran through their midst whilst looking for Éomer. She looked into ugly snarling faces before she ended their lives. Then running towards the mound in the center of the village, she stood upon it. Éomer was still fighting when she saw an orc bring his foul blade upon Éomer's arm. Thankfully, he had been wearing a thin coat of finely linked mail so the blade did not slice his arm off, but it did cut the mail and Déorhild could see that he was having difficulty wielding his sword. Also she noticed that even more orcs were coming down the pass and that they would soon be overwhelmed. She backstabbed an orc behind her before trying to make her way to Éomer.

But she soon discovered that it was harder than it looked. She had to fight her way through orcs who crowded around her as well as keep her sense of direction. A sudden movement from a creature beside her caused her sword to fly through the air, useless. She drew another and ran it through the orc. Then she heard her name being called, "Déorhild!"

She saw Éomer riding towards her, his bloody sword in its sheath. She realized quickly that he meant for her to jump onto his horse so they could get away. She slammed her filthy blade into its sheath and ran towards Éomer. He brushed right past her, but while doing so, grabbed her extended hand and half pulled, while she lept onto his horse behind him.

Quickly, they galloped down from the mountain and made their way through the pass they had come through yesterday. They didn't stop until the mountains were far away.

Soon Éomer reined his horse in while Déorhild jumped down from his horse. He did so too, but his cut and bloody arm made it hard for him to draw his sword out again to clean it. Déorhild noticed this, and took it with her own and as best as she could, wiped them clean on the grass. She handed it back to Éomer who had a pained look on his face. That was when she noticed where they were.

How do you like it so far?

Sword Maiden of Rohan | Of Every Race Saga Book IVजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें