Chapter 4: Permitted to Return

The next day, Éomer walked into the Golden Hall where King Théoden sat looking past Éomer. Gríma, who sat next to the King, nudged him, making Théoden see his nephew standing there in the room for the first time since Éomer had walked in. Éomer spoke first. "Uncle, Déorhild wishes to return to her village high in the mountains to see if there are any survivors. Does she have your consent?"

Théoden looked at Éomer closely and then replied, "She came here to ask help from me. Since it has been such a while since she first arrived, I will send an escort with her so that I will have proof that the village was really attacked."

Éomer looked at his uncle in astonishment and exclaimed, "You do not belive her story? Why would she lie to the you knowing full well that the punishment is death?"

Théoden looked at Éomer saying, "No, I do not. First, her story is quite remarkable. Second, if her real name is Déorhild, why did she start to say Loth-- instead? Furthermore, since you seem to care for her so much, you will go with her as escort." Then he finished by saying, "You are dismissed."

Éomer bowed respectfully and left.

He walked swiftly through the palace while he looked for either Déorhild or for his own sister Éowyn, for Déorhild would often be near Éowyn. Eventually he found Éowyn, out in the courtyard. What she was doing, he wasn't exactly sure, but he came up to her and asked where Déorhild was. His sister told him that she was in her room.

Déorhild's door was wide open, probably to catch the fresh breezes that  still lingered here near the end of summer

Déorhild's door was wide open, probably to catch the fresh breezes that still lingered here near the end of summer. She herself was seated at a table directly across from the open door, writing something on parchment. Éomer waited a few minutes.

Déorhild sat writing a letter. Yet while she worked, her mind was elsewhere. Many months ago, she would have thought about the problems at Isengard; or possibly wondering which young man in the village would her father engage her too... But any such thoughts were useless now. All she had ever loved and cared for had been taken away and through no fault of her own; though sometimes she thought it would have been better if she died along with her family so that she would not have to live with this unending pain of separation and loss. Now her only hope was that she could go back to her village and should no living being remain, to go to Isengard and her death, taking revenge for the lives unneedlessly taken. Yes, that was what she would do given a chance, she thought bitterly. Her thoughts were interrupted by a timid knock on the door.

"Yes," she called, irritated. "Do you need something?" she continued without turning around.

"Déorhild," Éomer spoke gently.

Déorhild turned around, obviously embarrassed that she had treated Éomer so coldly.

"Déorhild, I have asked my uncle, King Théoden, if you may return to your village," he paused.

Déorhild looked at Éomer expectantly like a child who has asked for something and and hopes with all their heart to have it, yet at the same time tries to kill that hope for fear that it will prove all for naught. "Yes?" she replied somewhat timidly.

Éomer smiled and spoke, proving her fears unfounded. "You are permitted to go," he looked at the floor, before continuing, "Théoden said that I was to go with you." He looked up quickly in time to see the reaction on Déorhild's face.

She looked quite surprised, but at the same time a little relieved. "When do we leave?" she asked.

Éomer responded, "As soon as you wish."