Chapter 9

Chapter 9  

I sat up on the rooftop of my apartment building. This was my place I always came to when something happened in my life and I needed a place to think and clear my head.

I looked over the edge down to where the streets were flooded with people and cars. I quickly got tired of the scene so I sat down and held my knees to my chest. I started to cry again.

I couldn’t stop thinking about those to faces that were in that room. I couldn’t stop thinking about the ridiculous question he had asked.

I couldn’t stop thinking of how he could have done this to me? After all we went through? After the two years of falling in love for him. The sobs started flowing out as I rocked myself on the roof.

“Hey Emma your mom said that you were up here so I……….” he cut himself off as he stood there staring at me. Instantly he ran to my side. “Emma? What happened? Why are you crying?”  

I looked up into his amber eyes shining through his shaggy brown hair. I couldn’t speak. I was just so swallowed in my sobs.

He quickly wrapped his arms around me, rocking me back and forth. I buried my face in his muscular chest. I continued to sob as he cooed me. ‘It’s going to be ok” he repeated. “It’s all going to be ok.”

I stopped dead in my tracks and glared at him. He looked at me confused.

“It’s not going to be ok! It will never be O-K.” I spat out at him. “You don’t even know why I’m upset? So how can you say it’s going to be ok?”

His expression across his face was sad.  He was completely speechless. I softened my tone as I gazed into his eyes. I was a little too harsh…

“I’m sorry Charlie.. I know you’re only trying to help…” I looked down at ground ashamed of myself.

He lifted my chin up to look at him. “Why don’t you tell me what happened then?”

“Well” I started.”After you dropped me off from the airport, I ran over to Toms house and surprise him that I was home.”

A small tear rolled down my cheek as Charlie swiped it away with his thumb. “And when I walked into his room…… there he was in the bed naked with some other girl….”

More tears ran down my face. I looked at Charlie to see what he was thinking. I saw the anger rising through his veins. He then stood up, his hands tightening up into fists of fury.

He started walking to the door. “Where are you going?” I called out to him. He didn’t answer. I quickly ran over to him and blocking his way from the door.

“Charlie where are you going!”

“I’m going to teach that bastard a lesson for hurting you and making you cry.” I shook my head in disagreement.

“I can’t let you do that.”

“And why not?” he questioned.

“Because…. I don’t want you to get hurt.” I looked up into his amber eyes. He sweetly smiled down at me. He pulled me into his strong embrace as we went back and sat down leaning against the wall.

He sat there and listened. Listened to me express how I felt, how I couldn’t understand why he did this. He just sat there and smiled at me the whole time.

A few times I thought he was day dreaming, but the thought still counted right?

~*~

We cuddled a little bit, because I had another sob fit. I was really glad that Charlie stayed with me the whole day up here.

I started to shiver; the night air temperature seemed to be dropping fast. Charlie draped his coat around my shoulders.

“It’s getting late; we should probably get you inside before you catch a cold or something.” His sweet voice comforted me.

“Alright,” I said groggily. I was starting to get tired, yet I didn’t want to go inside.

Charlie helped me to my feet as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and walked with me inside.

~*~

After Charlie hugged me and left, I walked into the kitchen to get a quick snack. I put a bag of popcorn seeds in the microwave and hit the ‘popcorn’ button.

I heard some unnecessary noises in the upstairs. I rolled my eyes knowing it was my mom and Robert. They were both really getting on my nerves.

Can’t they learn to control their adult hormones when I’m at least in the building? Once the microwave beeped I pulled out the hot bag.

Not wanting to go upstairs I decided to sit on the couch and watch TV down stairs. There was absolutely NOTHING on….  All I could do was flip channels.

Finally I saddled on watching some comedians on CMT. I guess you could say they are funny.

I heard footsteps coming down stairs as I turned and saw, my mother and Robert holding hands and laughing as they came down.

“Can’t you guys ever wait until I’m at least asleep, Or even NOT here?” I spat out at them. They both quickly looked up not realizing I was there.

“Oh, umm…..” My mother stuttered.

“Sorry sport, your mom is so beautiful I just can’t help myself.” I quickly placed my hands over my ears. “Eww! Ever heard of too much information! And don’t call me sport! Only my DAD is allowed to call me that and last time I checked you’re NOT my dad.”

“Emma!” My mother called to me. I looked over my shoulder and saw her giving me the death glare.

“No its ok honey, I understand that Emma doesn’t want anyone to replace her dad.” He crouched down in front of me. “It’s ok Emma, I will never try to replace him, I love your mother and so I am dating her.”

I crossed my arms in front of me. “And that’s why I want to ask you something?” I narrowed my eyes at him, raising an eyebrow waiting for him to continue.

“I was wondering.,” He started unsure if he should continue, “If you would be ok with me marrying your mom?” He had a slight smile showing his crooked, but white teeth.

My mouth dropped as I turned and stared at my mother. “Mom! How could you! You and dad are supposed to get back together! Not marry this….. weirdo!”

“My mother narrowed her eyes at me. “That’s enough young lady! Now you know that me and your father will not be getting back together. We had our problem, it’s the best for all of us.”

I quickly stood up. “The best for all of us? You mean better for you!” I quickly ran upstairs and slammed my door. I was real tired of her thinking that she knew what was best for me.

I f she knew that then her and dad would still be together. I started pacing my room, I definitely  was not going to be able to go to sleep tonight.