The Second Proposition

Start from the beginning

"You make it sound like we're married." Matthew grinned, not looking even slightly shamefaced.

"Is that all you're going to say?" Sophie wiped her forehead in frustration. She inhaled deeply in an attempt to find her sense of calm.

"Something came up."

She forced a smile. "I'm not happy." Her lips were tense and tight. Think sales, think winner.

"It won't happen again. I am really truly sorry for not being more reliable."

"An apology, at last." She started slow, keeping her voice even. "It would make me happier still if we could discuss ideas for your campaign so we can start on your project."

Dimples emerged on each of his cheeks. "Okay, well, I want to make you happy so I think we can do that."

She eyed him carefully, wondering whether she'd heard right. Matthew Silver had cooperated, with her. This must be some kind of breakthrough. "Great," she said.

"Ready?" He grinned. Matthew led Sophie away from the counter and gestured expansively. "Here goes. Welcome to the centre. As you know, this is the flagship pool for the swimming chain, and our head office. I hope you'll enjoy being here. Is there a swimsuit in your Mary Poppins bag by any chance, Sophie?"

"Um...no." Why on earth would she bring a swimsuit to a business meeting? "I'm here to talk about your campaign, to complete the Ideas Generation Stage."

Matthew rubbed his chin. "My first idea is for you to get a pool membership."

"That's not necessary."

"That way, we can see much more of each other and talk about the campaign. Eve, can you possibly create a complimentary membership for Sophie?"

Eve glanced up from the reception counter and a curious expression crossed her face. "Sure, Matthew, I'll make one up now," she responded.

Sophie wrung her hands. "Matthew, thanks," she started, frantically searching her mind for the right phraseology. "I won't need a membership. I'm here to discuss ideas. Strictly ideas. I won't be swimming."

"But this is what the advertising campaign is all about. Did you know our membership doubled after your last campaign, 'Swimming is for Living'?"

"Fantastic," she said. "Let's double memberships again. This time we'll need a fresh, new campaign."

"Should we do something with surfing or the beach?"

Sophie narrowed her eyes, was this about the surf wallet? "If you would like to. I can definitely sit with my team and whip up a campaign with a beach theme."

"Maybe something with a beach, though of course we'll need to show the pool, after all we are selling the idea of swimming at the pool chain. Have you been here before? If not, I'll give you the pool tour."

"It's okay, I'm fine," Sophie dissembled. "We're doing really well discussing the project right here. Let's just continue this back and forth."

"I insist. We can continue while I show you the pool." Matthew beckoned her to the turnstile.

Sophie ambled to the gate and froze. Panic crawled up her spine and sweat formed on her brow. She was losing control of the situation, losing control of the client. "I'm not sure this is absolutely necessary," she said.

She was yet to push the turnstile and Matthew's forehead creased as he observed her. He reached for her bag. "Let me take that for you. Eve can watch it while she prepares your membership."