Date Part Two (the actual date part)

"Whoa."

"Dinner for two?" Belle said with a smirk as she bowed like a maid. I cautiously made my way to the fancy dinner and simply sat at the picnic table in awe of my surroundings. It was absolutely gorgeous, but my attention soon gravitated to the demon sitting in front of me. It was only just then that I realized how deep her eyes were. The way that the black instead of white made them seem hollow, and the red iris and pupil made them seem full of death, and yet, and yet... There was something about her that made her seem so very alive.

"Impressed?" I snapped out of it.

"Uh, yes. Miss Belle Death-"

"Please, just call me B.D."

"B.D., this is astounding and I'm flattered that you would go through so much trouble for me, but I still have so many questions." She looked nervous, but only for a second.

"Yes. Of course. I suppose you do deserve an explanation. I- hmm," she tapped her chin, "lets see... Well, I guess I should start from the start. You eat, I talk. I'm sure you're starving."

"Oh, yes. Thank you."

"Okay. First of all, you were half right. I was banished. However, I was not banished to hell, but to my ethereal form, so, basically, a ghost."

"Mmhmm?"

"So, I did the only thing I could do in my ethereal form, watch the humans and bring the occasional soul to the afterlife. Occasionally, I would grow fond of one human and follow them around. But, then they would die and I would go find something else to do. But, like everyone does over time, I got terribly bored at doing the same things over and over again, so I went to an oracle and... convinced her to tell me if there was a way to return to my physical form, or, at least be able to possess someone again."

"Convinced?"

"There may have been a threat or two, but once she found out what was going to happen, she was rather thrilled. As was I, because she foretold that, if I started acting right then, I would be able to return to my physical form just in time to... Uh,"

"To?" I asked, excited.

"That part doesn't matter right now." I arched my eyebrow. "Don't give me that face. I made you dinner. Now, she said that, in order to have such good, I would need to be the most evil I had ever been for the next century. She told me that I had to rid myself of my few ethics and do many things I regret, but it would all be worth it in the end." She looked sad and bowed her head to the table. I didn't know that demons could feel sad. "And, of course, I thought she was wrong about the whole regretting thing. I figured that I finally had a reason to give up my ethics like a normal demon, but she was right. I ended up influencing the death of a lot of people that I liked. A great number of good people. Children who would have become amazing people that would help make the world a better place to live in. I did it all and now I hate myself for it. And I tried to still look cool and I kept telling myself that it was going to be all right. That it was a means to the end, but that just made me hate it more. And then I experienced love. For the first time in my entire life, I experienced love. I finally knew what that crazy old lady was talking about...." She looked back up at me. "And I could take it no more. I couldn't keep on killing people. In fact, I ended up trying to save someone regardless of my feelings..."

"Wait. You said that you liked to follow people around, so you were following me around. Earlier you said that you were waiting for me to get home. How long have you been following me around?"

"Oh, just since your eighth grade year."

"And, you said you experienced love. Did you- are you in love with me?" She looked away and nodded.

"Since eighth grade? That's kind of weird..."

"Hey, according to those standards, it's weird for me to fall in love with any human since I'm like, thousands of years old."

"Touché... Wow. That must have been awful. Falling in love with someone that you couldn't touch or even talk to."

"Yeah..."

"And it must have torn you apart to see me get engaged. Yet, you still tried to save her for me." She nodded her head enthusiastically.

"Yes. I'm sorry I couldn't save her. I probably should've known because the oracle said that I would be able to return to my physical form just in time to ah, be with my soulmate... Probably not the best time to say that........."

"But, that's not possible. My soulmate just died."

"Your soulmate can change. It's very rare, but it happens. Here. Let me show you." B.D. got up, walked over to me, and lifted her skirt up just the slightest to reveal black, curly letters that spelled 'Digben'. I shook my head and tore my eyes away from those cursed letters.

"No. No. No no no no no. That can't be me. There are other people with the last name of Digben. The nickname I have is 'Babs'. The nickname of my dead fiance." B.D. smirked and sat next to me, straddling the bench.

"I think you should double check that." She started unbuttoning my shirt but I pushed her away with more force than I probably should have used.

"Get off of me!" She fell back and hit her head on the bench, stunned. I scrambled to get off of the bench and away from the demon. She rolled so that she was laying on her side and crossing her arms.

"I- I'm sorry. I-"

"Liar! That's all you are! You're just a lying demon and you probably lied about not killing my fiance too! I don't want to hear anymore of your lies! Just take me home!"

"O-of course. Yes. Just. Just go." Remembering what she said earlier, I breathed in deeply, closed my eyes, and within a second, I was back in my home. The home where my fiance was killed. Crap. The police said I have to stay somewhere else for the time being. There wasn't any family that I could live with, so I decided to stay at a nearby motel with a suitcase of the essentials.

I showered as soon as I could in attempt to scrub her  filth off of me but, when I looked in the mirror to brush my teeth, I saw that she was right.
Written on my left pectoral, right where my fiance's nickname used to be, was 'B.D.'

"Fuck."