Chapter 3 - LETTERS FROM FRIENDS

LETTERS FROM FRIENDS

SOME letters from Officers gradually arrived, giving a few particulars. But it was an exceptionally strenuous period at the Ypres salient, and there was little time for writing. Moreover, some of his friends were killed either at the same time or soon afterwards.

LETTER FROM LIEUTENANT FLETCHER,

GREAT CROSBY, LIVERPOOL

'September 21, 1915

'Raymond was the best pal I've ever had, and we've always been together ; in the old days at Brook Road, then in Edinburgh, and lastly in France, and nobody could ever have a better friend than he was to me.

'I'll never forget the first day he came to us at Dickebusch and how pleased we all were to see him again ; and through it all he was always the same, ever ready to help anyone in any way he could, whilst his men were awfully fond of him and would have done anything for him.'

'September 24, 1915

'I hear that we were digging trenches in advance of our present ones at St. Eloi last week, so it must have been then that he was hit, as he was awfully keen on digging new trenches, and heaps of times I've had to tell him to keep down when he was watching the men working. . . .

'I always thought he would come through all right, and I know he thought so himself, as, the last time I saw him, we made great plans for spending some time together when we got back, and it seems so difficult to realize that he has gone. 

(Signed) ERIC S. FLETCHER '

LETTER FROM LIEUTENANT CASE TO LADY LODGE

'Friday, September 24, 1915.

'I was very, very grieved at his death, for he was one of the very nicest fellows I have met. That he was universally liked, both by officers and men, it is needless to say. . . .

'I was for nearly three months in C Company with him, and was thus able to see his extreme coolness and ability in military matters. He was hit about midday, and died about half an hour or so afterwards. I forget the date, but I have written more fully to his brother. I don't think he suffered much pain. He was conscious when I arrived, and recognized me, I think, and I remained with him for some time. I then went off to see if there was any possibility of finding the doctor, but all the telephone wires were cut, and if we had even been able to get the doctor up, it would have been of no avail. The stretcher-bearers did all that was possible.... Another subaltern, Mr. Ventris, was killed at the same time, as was his servant Gray as well.

'(Signed) G. R. A. CASE'*

LETTER FROM CAPTAIN S. T. BOAST

'September 27, 1915

'First of all I beg to offer you and your family my sincere sympathies in the loss of your son, 2nd Lieut. Lodge. His loss to us is very great: he was a charming young fellow —always so very cheerful and willing, hard working, and a bright example of what a good soldier ought to be. He was a most efficient officer, and only recently qualified in the handling and command of Maxim guns —a most useful accomplishment in the present war. Briefly, the circumstances which led to his death were as follows:

'On September 14, C Company to which 2nd Lieut. Lodge belonged, was in position in a forward fire trench. During the morning the commander of the artillery covering the position informed 2nd Lieut. Lodge, who at the time was in command of C Company, that it was intended to shell the enemy's positions, and as his trenches were only a short distance from ours, it was considered advisable to withdraw from our trench during the shelling. 2nd Lieut. Lodge gave orders for his company to withdraw into a communication trench in the rear. He and 2nd Lieut. Ventris were the last to leave the forward trench, and in entering the communication trench both these officers were caught by enemy's shrapnel. Ventris was killed —Lodge mortally wounded and died of his wounds shortly afterwards. These are the circumstances of his death.' 

FROM CAPTAIN A. B. CHEVES, R.A.M.C.

'September 22, 1915

'The Colonel has asked me to write you, giving some idea of the burial-ground in which your son's grave is. Communication with my aid post was very difficult, and he was reported to me as having been killed. I understand that he lived for about three hours after being wounded, and all the officers and men who were present speak very highly of his conduct during this time. His wound was unfortunately in such a position that there was no chance of saving his life, and this was recognized by all, including your son himself. When his body was brought down in the evening the expression on his face was absolutely peaceful, and I should think that he probably did not suffer a great deal of pain. He was buried on the same evening in our cemetery just outside the aid post, side by side with Lieut. Ventris, who was unfortunately killed on the same day. The cemetery is in the garden adjoining a ruined farm-house. It is well enclosed by hedges, and your son's grave is under some tall trees that stand in the garden. There are graves there of men of many regiments who have fallen, and our graves are enclosed by a wire fence, so keeping them quite distinct from the others. There is a wooden cross marking the head of the grave, and a small one at the foot. I am afraid that our condolences will be small consolation to you, but I can assure you that he was one of the most popular officers with the Battalion, both amongst the officers and men, and all feel his loss very greatly.'

Information sent by Captain Cheves to Mrs. Ventris, mother of the Second Lieutenant who was killed at the same time as Raymond and buried with him:

'He was buried on the right of the Menin Road, just past where the Zonebeke Rail cuts. If you can get hold of Sheet 28, Belgium 1/40,000, the reference is I. 16. b 2. Any soldier will show you how to read the map.'

LETTER FROM A FOREMAN WORKMAN

[I also append a letter received from a workman who used to be at the same bench with Raymond when he was going through his workshop course at Wolseley Motor Works. Stallard is a man he thought highly of, and befriended. He is now foreman in the Lodge Fume Deposit Company, after making an effort to get a berth in Lodge Brothers' for Raymond's sake. He is now, and has been since the war began, the owner of Raymond's dog Larry, about whom some local people remember that there was an amusing County Court case.]

'98, Mansel Road, Small Heath, Birmingham,

September 17, 1915

'DEAR MR. LIONEL, The shock was too great for me to speak to you this afternoon. I should like to express to you, and all the family, my deepest and most heartfelt sympathy in your terrible loss. Mr. Raymond was the best friend I ever had.

'Truly, I thought more of him than any other man living, not only for his kind thoughts towards me, but for his most admirable qualities, which I knew he possessed.

'The memory of him will remain with me as long as I live. Believe me to be, yours faithfully,

'(Signed) NORMAN STALLARD' 

------------------------------------

     *Lieutenant Case himself, alas! was killed on September 25, 1915. It was a fatal time. Lieutenant Fletcher also has been killed now, on July 3, 1916.   

Raymond by Sir Oliver J. Lodgeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें