4 - Lingering Presence

Start from the beginning

I frowned. "Why would he think that?"

Caroline stopped for a moment, and her eyes widened a bit, as if she realized something she did that was she clearly not supposed to do or say.  "Uh, I don't know? Just thought about it. Anyway, are you going to the dance tonight?" She asked, changing the topic.

I sighed. "Not sure." I answered before picking up my tray as we started walking back to our table where Elena and Bonnie are seated. I saw a girl, I recognized her face, a classmate from our history class, she was standing at our table and was talking to Elena and Bonnie.

"Tell him she has a boyfriend. And her sister is off limits." I heard Bonnie tell the girl. It was kind of loud that I actually heard it.

I saw the girl's mouth move as if she was saying something while grinning. Then left before we even reached our table.

"What was that about?" Caroline asked the question that was in my mind, as we took our seats.

Bonnie and Elena shared a look then glanced at Caroline before finally glancing at me. Elena shrugged. "It was nothing."

"Oh really?" I asked, purposely making my tone imply that I don't believe her and raised a brow.

Bonnie saved Elena from me when she spoke up, transferring my attention on her. "Someone was asking if You and Elena are going to the dance and if possible, can he be your last dance."

"What? Seriously? Why did you turn him down?" Caroline asked in dismay before sipping from her juice.

Bonnie shrugged. "Elena already has a boyfriend, you know."

"But I don't." I grinned. "He might've been the one." I told them bluntly before taking a bite from my sandwich.

"Well, did you get his name?" Caroline asked for me.

Elena furiously shook her head. "No. H-he didn't give his name." She said and looked down at her salad.

I raised an eyebrow. She's lying.

"Yeah. That's also one of the reasons why we turned him down. He's mysterious. For all we know he maybe just an old pervert wanting to score on younger girls." Bonnie nodded her head and looked at me straight in the eye. I don't know, but Bonnie sure is an excellent liar.

"But also, he could be some hot guy just wanting to get to know pretty girls and fall in love with them." Caroline contradicted.

I glanced at Elena. She doesn't look me in the eye.

I shook my head and shrugged. "Guess we'll find about him later." I smiled.

-

"Do you really need to go?"

I turned around to see Damon standing in the doorway, leaning against the door frame with his hand crossed over his shoulders.

"Do you really need to ask?" I raised an eyebrow and smiled.

"I know you dont like parties." He said as he walked inside the room.

"Oh what do you know about me, Damon" I scoffed. "You were always about elena this, elena that." I chuckled as I turned back around to face the mirror.