i.

There I was again tonight

Forcing laughter, faking smiles

Same old tired lonely place

Walls of insincerity,

Shifting eyes and vacancy

Vanished when I saw your face

All I can say is it was enchanting to meet you

...........................................................................

Mitch sighed as he walked into the venue where the after party was being held for the music award show he had just attended. He couldn't be bothered to even remember the name of the award show. He just wanted tonight to be over. 

Award shows always exhausted him, even if it was just sitting there and listening to awards being given away with the occasional performance. The after parties were always filled with forced laughter and awkward conversations. Well, at least for him they were and he despised them. 

He decided to head right for the bar. If he was going to talk to anyone here he needed some kind of alcohol in his system. Of course he couldn't make it straight to the bar without making small talk with some other artists that were at the party. Compliments were thrown his way, seeming not so sincere to him but he pushed the thoughts aside. He saw some people shooting him some looks, probably wondering why he was there and who exactly he was (which he expected since he had only been up for the Best New Artist category). He also wondered how he had been invited to such an after party. He'd only been nominated for one thing. Finally getting away from the crowd, Mitch sat up on the stool after telling the bartender what he would like. 

He looked to his left and noticed he was sitting next to someone who had performed earlier that night. He couldn't remember his name for the life of him, but remembered that he had played the cello and beatboxed. It was an amazing performance. Mitch figured he should say something if he was just going to stare. 

"You performed earlier tonight right?" Mitch spoke up.

"Yeah, Kevin Olusola." He stuck out his hand and Mitch extended his hand to shake it. 

"You did a brilliant job. I had never heard of celloboxing before tonight."

Kevin smiled a full teeth smile and nodded his head. "Thank you. It is something a bit different. Sorry, I didn't catch your name?"

"Oh! Mitch Grassi."

"The Mitch Grassi?" Kevin asked.

Mitch laughed. "I'm guessing so."

Kevin laughed and angled his body towards Mitch. "I love your music, man."

Mitch felt his cheeks redden at the compliment. It would never fail to make him blush when people gave him a genuine compliment about his music. He smiled at Kevin, realizing that those were the first sincere words he had heard at the party so far.

Mitch reached for his drink that the bartender had put before him and smiled. "Thank you," He took a gulp and placed it back down, putting both of his hands around the glass. "That means a lot." 

Kevin nodded and began to stand up. "Maybe we can do a collab sometime."

Mitch nodded. He decided that he liked Kevin. "Perhaps."

"Well, I've got to go mingle. But it was great to meet you."

"You too."

Kevin said goodbye once again before turning around and heading into the crowd. Mitch pulled out his phone and looked at the time. He'd only been here for a half an hour. His manager, Esther, had told him to at least try and stay an hour, but it'd be "great if you could stay even longer". 

Mitch threw back his head and finished off the rest of his drink before getting up and turning around, ready to go and "mingle". Mitch lifted his hand and delicately fixed that one strand of hair that he always seemed to have trouble with before he began to make his way through the bodies of people. 

Mitch felt a hand wrap around his wrist as he was working towards the center of the room and turned around to find the culprit.

"Mitch!"

"Kirstie! I didn't know you were going to be at this party."

Kirstie flashed her brilliant, dazzling smile. "I meant to text you this morning and ask if you were going to be here but it completely slipped my mind. And then I was busy with make up and my outfit, you know. All that good stuff."

Mitch nodded in understanding. "That's okay. I'm just glad there's someone I know here. You know how I don't do after parties."

"Yet, I have a feeling if this was a club you'd be partying the night away."

"Of course. There's a difference between a club and an after party."

Kirstie grabbed one of his hands. "Dance with me?"

Mitch weighed his options. He could just mingle around with people he really didn't know all that well and make awkward conversations and feel vacant stares as he passed or dance with his friend for a bit and try to forget about the last half hour he had left.

He would rather go back to the bar and drink the rest of the half an hour away, but he knew that wasn't an option. That wouldn't get raving reviews in magazines that would hit stands later in the week or on entertainment TV shows. He could see the headlines now:

Mitch Grassi Sits At Bar & Drinks Away His Problems

or perhaps

Mitch Grassi Wins No Awards & Has No Friends So He Just Drinks

Okay, so those were long ridiculous titles but he still didn't want any negative reviews.

Kirstie was giving him a quizzical look and he suddenly realized that he hasn't answered her. He quickly nodded to Kirstie and let her drag him to the dance floor. Mitch held on to Kirstie's hands with his and let his hips sway side to side as Kirstie raised their hands and danced around. Mitch and Kirstie sang along to the music, singing at the top of their lungs.

Kirstie leaned towards Mitch and yelled in his ear about going to get them a couple drinks. Mitch nodded his head and continued to dance. He was having more fun than he would ever admit. Mitch was in his own world and not caring what anyone thought while he danced. He had his eyes closed and was just feeling the beat of this music run through him. 

As he danced he tilted his head back and finally opened his eyes, he stared up at the different lights going off around the room. There were circles moving around on the walls. They moved to the ceiling and to the floor and there were even different lasers moving around the room.

And that's when he saw him. 

It was like the moment in the movies. That big moment, when the guy sees the girl or vice versa. Everything slowed down. Things began to blur around the edges. The lights blurred and blended together. The music just became noise, holding no meaning. Everyone seemed to be dancing in slow motion. 

The man at the bar laughed, leaning forward and covering his mouth with his hand. The man started to calm down from his laughing fit and turned his head to the side and spotted Mitch.

Their eyes locked and a small smile graced both of their lips.