Chapter 10

Draco sighed as he looked out the window. I was actually shocked that he kept his promise the next day…and the whole next week as well. We actually had some fun as well, him chasing me around the aisles of books in the library, and me shooting bits of parchment at him. We actually got threatened to get kicked out of the library, but that didn’t stop us. Until that day when we actually got caught by Binns for tom foolery (his words this time, not mine) and had to sit down and to actual work the whole time. We only had one day left until we had to turn in our outline, which was halfway done.

“What is it now, Draco?” I asked, getting annoyed with his sighing, which happened once every five seconds or so it seemed.

“It’s so nice outside. Why can’t we work on this out there?” he asked seriously.

I looked outside and, sure enough, the sun was shining and not a cloud in sight. “Professor Binns might come check on us again. We can’t risk getting into trouble again on this project.” I looked back down at our outline, which was basically crap.

“I’ll be able to think better outside. As long as we work Binns shouldn’t have a problem with it,” he pleaded. “Come on. You know you want to,” he smirked as I looked up at him stupidly because he was acting childish. “Court, why waste great weather like this? Come on, let’s go. Up, up. I’m taking control now,” he said, taking the outline out of my hands before gathering the rest and heading for the exit. “Last one there is a rotten egg!”

I rolled my eyes but had to smile. He was just so cute when we were alone. It wasn’t fair that he couldn’t be his real self for the rest of the world, but I still felt pretty special to be the only one to see it. It was like we had never stopped being friends.

“Oh, no, you don’t!” I called and ran after him.

Needless to say, he won the race to the outside world. I got to pick the spot where we were gonna finish that outline, which was right by the lake. He made a blanket appear, and we took our seats. After about twenty minutes of boring work, Draco had grown bored again. That time he decided to start a poking war with me. I was getting tired of it, so I pushed him a little harder on the shoulder. He then pushed me too. I pushed back, which means that he pushed me back. I fell over from the force of it. I didn’t get up. I just pushed him from sitting position. He then acted like he was falling over, and he did on his back. I looked over at him; he did the same. A few seconds passed before I stood up and play kicked him in the side. Her got up and stood right in front of me. I had to look up to him, which hurt my neck a bit. He then put his arm around my neck in a headlock. I fought back and ended up on my butt with Draco falling on top of me. I was laying on the blanket, and Draco was on top of me, just perfect, although it did take my breath away, in more ways than one.

“Draco,” I whispered as his eyes just stared into mine. I could feel the blush creeping on my cheeks.

“Why did you have to be sorted into Gryffindor?” he asked. “If you had been sorted into Slytherin just like we had planned, then we could still be friends, perhaps more…”

I blushed even harder at the thought. “But we didn’t, Draco. I…” I trailed off because I wasn’t sure if I should’ve told him.

“I guess it’s not your fault. That stupid talking hat does,” his eyes wondered down to my lips. “You had no choice in the matter. I didn’t either, but frankly, I knew exactly where I was going. I thought I knew where you were going as well, but I guess I didn’t know you as well as I thought I did.”

“No,” I shook my head. “You didn’t.”

“You know,” he started, but he didn’t finish because he had titled his head in towards mine.

My eyes widened and fear struck me. Draco Malfoy was going to kiss me? I couldn’t believe it. I was so nervous and scared that I wasn’t thinking about what I was doing, and I turned my head at the last moment. I instantly regretted it. I should’ve just let him kiss me, but I just couldn’t.

“Court?” he whispered against my cheek. “What’s wrong?”

“I-“

Tears pricked my eyes as I put both hands on his chest and pushed him away slightly. He got the hint and let me up. We stood there just looking at each other for the longest time. I couldn’t think of anything to say and obviously, neither could he. I wanted to say something so bad. I wanted to apologize for what had just happened, but no words came out of my mouth. I could feel the tears slowly fall down my face as he looked at me. Those grey eyes taking in every inch of me.

He then sighed. That sigh sent another wave of fear through my body. “Apparently, I still don’t know you.”

“Draco, I-“

But I was too late, he was walking away. He didn’t hear my low voice say his name. I wanted to just yell name. I wanted to just tell him everything that was running through my mind, but my mouth just wasn’t working. I wasn’t good at telling boys my feelings. Look where I ended up with Fred. That was a bust. I didn’t want to be busted with Draco though. I so didn’t want that to happen.

“Draco!” I yelled.

He turned around and stopped walking. “What is it?”

“I asked the Sorting Hat to put me in Gryffindor. I did have a choice in it. I just didn’t chose to follow you,” I explained the only thing my brain would let me at the time. “I wanted to so bad, Draco. You have no idea how much I wanted to. I just felt that I should be in Gryffindor, so I went with it. I was so devastated when you wouldn’t be friends with me because of something as stupid as getting into different houses. That doesn’t change the way you feel. It didn’t change mine,” I stammered the last sentence. It was a hard one too.

“Sometimes it does,” he said.

And with that said, he left me alone. I knelt down on the blanket and just let the tears come. I didn’t care if anyone passed by me or not. I had just blown it with the guy that I wanted to be with. We were making progress, and I had to open my mouth.