Chapter 19

Seeing Draco on Saturday was all that was keeping me from breaking down. I mean, he didn’t even talk to me the whole three days in between. It was the days that were filled with heart ache. I needed to know what was going through his mind when he told me that he needed some space that he needed to think about us. What was there to think about? He told me he loved me, and I said the same back to him.  It must’ve been something that Snape had said to him. I mean, he didn’t have a change of mind until after he came out of his office. What business was it of Snape’s anyway? Draco and I are definitely not his business. That’s just between me and him, and no one else.

“Are you okay, Court?”

I looked up from the fire that I had been staring into. I was sitting on the couch in the common room, thinking about Draco. I had no idea that someone would approach me. I had no idea that I was letting my feelings show that much.

“Harry,” I said, taking him in as he sat down next to me. “I didn’t think you cared anymore.”

He looked at me like I had lost my head. I didn’t though; lose my head I mean, because it wasn’t that far off to think that. The way he cut me down a few weeks ago or when he acted like I couldn’t be trusted. It just seemed clear to me that we weren’t as close as we used to be.

“Me not care about you? Are you barking mad, Court? How could I ever not care about a friend who helped me through so many things that I couldn’t do on my own? I could never not care about you,” he said, patting my knee. “So, now that we have that established, what’s wrong?”

I didn’t know if I could believe him. I mean, I used to be able to. Could I still? I had no idea, but that didn’t stop me from spilling out everything anyway. I even told him about the night that Draco and I almost…you know. It was just like old times. We used to tell each other everything. Well, not everything. That used to be Ron and I that close. This year, as you can tell, he had gone completely mental. Anyway, back to Harry. He just soaked up everything that I had said. When I was finished, I waited for a response. I expected one like the other day that Draco’s all bad and he’ll break my heart. I expected an ‘I told you so’ to fall right out of his mouth, but to my surprise, he didn’t.

“How can you be so sure he’s the one, when he’s hurt you more than once? I mean, you’re a very,” he cleared his throat and I could swear that his cheeks were turning a bit pink, “beautiful person with a g-great personan-personality. Why would he want to get rid of that?”

I couldn’t help but smirk. “You think I’m beautiful?”

“He’d be eating Merlin’s beard if he thought differently, just stark raving mad,” Ron had appeared just at the wrong moment and this time without Lavender.

I rolled my eyes. “Thanks for listening, Harry,” I kissed him on the cheek. “If you ever need the same, I’m here for you.”

He smiled up at me as I walked towards the girls’ dorms. Ron’s mouth was hanging open. I heard Harry ask him if he was trying to catch flies. I guess he’s a little jealous that I kissed Harry, but it was just on the cheek. It was more of a friendly gesture than anything. Besides, I wonder what he would do if he knew that Kamrynn was actually the jealous one. It’s hard to say. He’s so dumb that at times you have no idea what he’s actually thinking.

“Court!” called Kamrynn out of her dorm.

I hadn’t seen her that much that week. I tried to find her, but it just wasn’t possible outside of class. I think she’s been spending all her time with Blaise, who would be her chosen topic of conversation for her whenever anyone talked to her.

“Hey, I haven’t seen you all week,” I told her as she motioned for me to come into her dorm. Hermione must’ve been somewhere else, or she would’ve invited me in.