Chapter 5

I didn’t have time to even miss Draco like he lead on because my next block, History of Magic, he was there. Only this time he was late and had to get the last seat that was open, and lucky me, it was right next to me. On the other side was Ron, so it was kind of awkward. The whole time I was nervous, but I didn’t want him to know, so I just didn’t talk to him and just carried on a conversation with Ron, who saw it as a plus that I wasn’t speaking to Malfoy.

“Hello, class,” Professor Binns said as he floated into the classroom. I always found it rather boring that he was a ghost and still teaching the most boring subject ever. “Today we will be starting on the Goblin Rebellion. By the end of class, you will be able to name the leaders and the soldiers that he had behind him…” Blah, blah, blah. You could really learn all the subject matter by just reading the chapter. We really didn’t need a class to re-state it.

“Miss me, Flint?” Draco whispered to me, but I didn’t even look at him. “What am I talking about? Of course, you missed me. No one can go without missing this magnificent person. Am I right?”

“Just do us all a favor, Draco, and choke yourself with your quill. I’m sure hardly anyone would miss you,” I smirked without even looking in his direction.

“Ha, very funny, Flint.”

Ron snorted. “It’s true though.”

“No one asked you, Weasel. So, just stay out of it,” Malfoy spat.

I rolled my eyes. Man, that was becoming a habit this year. Well, with what I was surrounded with, it wasn’t much of a surprise. “There will be no fighting over me. Do you hear me, Malfoy?”

“Who would fight over you?” he laughed. “You’re no prize.”

That comment made me look at him. “Oh, please. You’re just covering the hurt inside because obviously you can’t please anyone enough with your looks,” I didn’t get up to a smirk though as I looked back down at my notes. “Just shut it, Malfoy.”

“Did I strike a nerve there? Well, obviously I did. Well, I must say, I’ve never gotten to you before,” he paused. “Were you hoping that you were some sort of prize? Or were you hoping that I would consider you a prize? Come on then, which is it?”

I didn’t answer him. I didn’t make a move at all. Yes, I had thought that I was a prize, but it didn’t bother me that he said it like that. He was just saying it to get under my skin. I was acting like that because I had had a realization: my birthday wish would never come true. Draco and I will never be on civil terms. He enjoys torturing me too much to step down. So, if he wants to play it like that, then I will. I’ll just torture right back.

I looked him straight in the eye. “Are you feeling a bit not like a prize? Is your shine all gone, Draco? I see that you have no girl on your arm yet. Are you fading away? With all these others getting attention,” I pointed out Hermione, Kamrynn, and Lavender, who were all staring at Ron, “I bet your feeling a little downgraded.” I smiled at the shocked expression on his face. I pretended to feel bad for him and patted his knee. “It’s okay, Draco. You had your time. It’s time to step down graciously and let someone else have some time in the limelight.”

He opened his mouth to say something, but Professor Binns had called his name, so he looked away from me and up at him. Turns out, we were getting assignments for a project. Draco had to go up and pick a subject from the box. Half of us had to pick from the second box, which contained the names of the other half of the class. They would be our partner.

“Great,” Draco said sarcastically as he sat back down.

“What?” I asked as Ron got up.