Prologue

(NOTE: Each section starts with a journal entry. There are varying periods of time between Chapters / entries. )

 [EARLY SPRING - MARCH]

I saw them collect my books and presumably my journals were among them, but I doubt they will return them to me. However, once settled in my cell, I prevailed upon the jailer to request writing implements for me. To my surprise, my captors have allowed me pen, ink and this leather bound book—albeit all carefully prepared to be null for magic. That they have brought me back to their tower alive means that they have, apparently, decided I am not a real threat. I do not know if that bodes good or ill.

From the bits and pieces I have gleaned from overheard snatches of conversation, The Scarlet Ossuary was not the simple mages guild it purported to be, but a sorcerer's cult with an agenda dangerous enough to warrant extermination. Truthfully, that does not surprise me, considering the bent of Osram's egotism. I cannot help but imagine that Osram, if he survived the attack, would be mortified at how truly small his menace turned out to be. To the mages and wizards of the Silver Tower, the Scarlet Ossuary were little more than vermin—capable of carrying pestilence, surely, but easy enough to stomp out once they found the nest.

Besides my students, I am, apparently, the only one who survived the assault. That does not surprise me either, really. Most of my fellows would have considered it cowardice to surrender, even to superior numbers and skill. Of course, most of my fellows would never have admitted to the possibility of anyone else being superior, even the famous Silver Tower company. To my mind defeat was inevitable ,and my life for the lives of my students was an acceptable trade.

Ah, Osram, how very deluded you all wereyet I accepted my part and never questioned. Perhaps I should have asked more questions, but that would have opened me up to even more suspicions from my fellows. And why should I not take the more comfortable course and concentrate on my teaching and alchemy? It was what I was good at, and what I enjoyed. And whatever I thought of the others, to you, Osram, I gave my loyalty. Why should I not? After all, it was you who took me—a pitiful, painfully thin orphan—off the street and gave me food, clothes and a warm bed. True, it was the ability for magic you sensed in me that attracted your attention, but the fact remains you took me in and gave me the only home I had ever known.

Hindsight makes it so easy to see the fallacy of your choices, does it not? Yet, I cannot regret that I was there. If I understood correctly, the attacking force was unaware of the presence of the children at the keep proper. Had I not resisted their advance, they might have destroyed the classrooms and dormitory without even knowing what they were until it was too late. At least my forfeit will allow my students to have a chance at life.

And now ... well now I hear the sound of footsteps—most likely the warder coming to take me to my trial. What do I have to look forward to there? Death most likely. For who shows mercy to vermin?

The lone man standing before the Council Tribunal of the Silver Tower held himself with grace and pride. Taller than average, he was nonetheless more slim than bulky. His features were fine, but masculine rather than pretty. His coloring was somewhat out of the norm, as his hair had the sheen of a raven's wing, while his eyes were a deep, clear blue, like sapphires. His skin was lighter than most, but not pasty, it's paleness instead from lack of sun. The once fine scarlet and gold robes of his sect were soiled and torn, the symbols of his order defaced. There was intelligence in his piercing gaze and a certain arrogance that was not particularly wise under the circumstances. Like a wolf under a bear's gaze he stood, un-cowed but wary.