Twelve

"I mean have you seen the way she looks at him? It's totally pathetic, she reminds me of a lost puppy or something. He is so out of her league so I have absolutely nothing to worry about. Besides, he would never be interested in the likes of her." I knew that voice was Jamie's, I guess she wasn't aware of the fact that I was in the lou.

"Well Jamie, it's nice to know you think so highly of me." I said lamely as I pushed the door open.

"Callie! We were just talking about you!" Her smile was plastic.

"Don't be daft, I'm no idiot, why don't you save your breath for someone who gives a crap. And next time, be a dear and get on your knees like you usually do to make sure no one is in here when you decide to slander them."

I hiked my bag up further on my shoulder and left with a pleasant smile. I'd been right all along, she thought poorly of me and I was certainly not have person. But it didn't matter to me, she was just another flapper in my opinion.

"There you are!" The moment I stepped out of the bathroom, Caroline nearly threw me over.

"Uh here I am, now that we've established the obvious..."

Her laugh tinkled the air and severed my nerves in half. "You're so funny. Anyway, I was thinking of throwing a small get together tonight, no big shindig, just something so that I can get Ryan over to my place. Fancy coming along yeah?"

"Uh, actually I think I'll pass, yeah, Ryan and I really need to finish our project, we've been...busy with other things so we're a tad behind." By busy with other things, I meant to busy snogging to do much else, he was so distracting.

"Oh come on, it's a Friday night! You lads can do that boring crap some other time."

"Uh no, I don't think we can. But, I gotta get to class."

"But-"

"See you around!" I called over my shoulder. Ugh, why did Ryan have to be so bloody hot? The fact that he had girls falling over his feet was getting right under my skin. I was foolish to think that I could keep him to my self, he couldn't even keep to himself!

By lunch time I was in a funk. Now that I was keen on Ryan's name, it was like I heard it everywhere, people were always talking about him and saying things that I'd rather not hear. Ugh! I just wanted to go back to before when he was nothing but a nuisance, back to before he held under his hopeless spell he'd seemed to have every girl under.

"Well you look fine and dandy!" Ethan chirped as I sat down with my tray.

"Ha, you're so funny." I said dryly.

"What's got your nickels in a bunch!?" Maggie asked happily.

I sighed, she was entirely too perky for my mood right now. "Nothing, I'm just feeling a little put out."

"What now?" Ethan said with a roll of his eyes.

I flipped him the bird before running both hands through my hair. "It's just so annoying!"

"What is?" Maggie cocked her head to the side. She still wasn't aware that I'd been...making out with Ryan? I still didn't know what to call it.

"My brother and his endless stream of lady friends I bet."

"Bingo." I scowled at him.

Maggie's eyes widened. "Wait! Are you guys finally like..." She lowered her head and voice. "Dating."

"Yes."

"No." Ethan and I spoke at the same time.

"Wait, I'm...confused." She said slowly.