Chapter 27

Chapter 27

                Crazystar tried for a simple sidestep, thinking Splashheart would expect something more complicated. The gray-and-white tom turned quickly and the ThunderClan leader didn’t jump backwards in time to avoid a blow aimed at her shoulder.

                She ignored the stinging pain and lunged forward, trying to sink her teeth into Splashheart’s neck. Of course, it couldn’t be that simple. Splashheart twisted out of the way and landed another blow, barely missing her right eye.

                Crazystar desperately hopped backwards as he swung a massive forepaw towards her neck. Splashheart tried to sweep her forepaws out from under her with one swift move but she rolled out of the way.

                The gray-and-white tom launched himself into the air, and Crazystar leapt off to the right to avoid him landing on her back. He hit the ground and spun around, blocking her attempt to deliver the death blow with his left forepaw. Before she could pull back, he’d sank his teeth into her forepaw, dragging her towards him just as Whitefur had done to Redwhisker. The ThunderClan summoned all of her strength and managed to yank her paw backwards. She momentarily glanced down and saw a large patch of fur missing. It was covered in blood and she looked away, trying not to put much weight on it.

                Splashheart dashed towards her, still looking full of energy as if the battle had no effect on him. Crazystar struggled even to land a tiny blow to the back of his ear as she sidestepped. She panted with the effort of fighting such a powerful opponent.

                 He continued to attack her repeatedly, and Crazystar gasped for breath, wondering how she was even finding the strength to dodge each strike.

                Splashheart leapt towards her, spinning in mid-air and kicking her in the face with his hindlegs before she could spring backwards.

                She was knocked to the ground but had no choice but to scramble back onto her aching paws. The ThunderClan leader saw him racing in her direction yet again and jumped towards him. He skidded to a halt and she landed short. He gave her a powerful push and she collapsed onto the ground.

                Crazystar could hardly breathe at all as he planted a heavy paw on her chest. He raked his claws across her belly a few times, and she could barely stop herself from screeching in agony. “Not so much of a fighter now, are you?” Splashheart growled, leaning closer.

                She heaved herself upward and his amber eyes widened with shock. Perhaps it was the element of surprise that allowed her to throw him off, considering the fact that he’d never even expect her to try it. But he was back on his paws almost instantaneously. “You caught me off guard,” the gray-and-white tom admitted. “But that most certainly doesn’t mean it’s possible for you to win this battle.”

                Crazystar didn’t waste her breath responding to his comment. She waited for his next attack, taking a few deep breaths as he tensed his muscles and leapt towards her. The ThunderClan leader slid forwards and turned. Splashheart also twisted around in mid-air to face her. He raised a forepaw and raked his claws across her nose. She tried to jump back, but not in time.

                Around the clearing, the StarClan cats and her warriors were steadily driving the forces of the Place of No Stars back towards the camp entrance. But none of that would matter unless she killed her worst enemy who stood in front of her, because as long as Splashheart was alive, his evil plotting against the Clans would live on as well.

                He darted towards Crazystar and as she leapt backwards, she tripped over something. She glanced down and her heartbeat seemed to stop momentarily. A cat laid on the ground with a large gash in his throat. It was her son, Blazestorm.

                The ThunderClan leader was filled with rage. “This all your fault, you fool!” Crazystar snarled.

                She found new strength in her terrible anger. She charged towards Splashheart. His claws tore off a large clump of fur from her cheek, but she was hardly aware of the pain. It was nothing compared to the agony in her heart.

                He gave her mighty shove and although she stumbled, it wasn’t enough to stop her. She crashed into Splashheart and as they tumbled onto the ground, she placed a paw on his neck to hold him down. “No one messes with my kits and gets away alive,” she hissed.

                Crazystar raised a forepaw and sliced her claws across his throat without hesitation. She watched as the light disappeared from his amber eyes and he slowly began to fade into the green grass.

                The Dark Forest retreated soon after, but Crazystar cared about nothing other than her dead kit.

A/N: The battle is over! :) The next chapter is the epilogue!

Please tell me your thoughts, and as always, I hope you enjoyed! :D