CHAPTER 3

For the second night in a row I didn't sleep a wink, and yet I felt as awake as the crowing rooster with one cup of Aunt June's coffee coursing through my system like gunpowder. I don't even know how I held it together, but even with jittery nerves and shaking hands I somehow saddled up my horse Sadie and got her outfitted with the packs I would be using.

"Don't be nervous," Aunt June whispered in my ear. We were standing outside the house, just by the road, and waiting for everyone else to show up. As our place was the last before the wilderness, I would be the last part of the party to join them. I gripped Sadie's reins tightly while her dark gentle eyes seemed blissfully half-asleep. I didn't want to mount up until I absolutely had to—it felt like the moment I sat in the saddle, the real commitment would begin. A small part of me believed that as long as I stood beside Aunt June and Uncle Pat, just holding onto my horse, I didn't really have to go anywhere.

I gave my aunt a look. "I'm not nervous."

She smiled. "Avery will be with you. He's a kind, smart, strong lad. He'll protect you. And Donna will make polite company. You're in good hands. These men just want some answers and they believe in you." I waited for her to say a kind word about believing in me too but knew she would never say anything like that in front of her husband.

I looked over at Uncle Pat. Though the sun was just rising in the east, making everyone's skin grow gold and beautiful, he had his hat pulled down low and a stern expression on his jowly face. Dawn's glow couldn't touch him.

I smelled the horses at the same time that Sadie did, her nostrils flaring and ears perking up, finally awake. They were here.

Moments later the sound of hoofbeats came down the road, a full, lively sound that made my heart beat wildly. There was drama and adventure and danger in that cadence, and the promise of something new.

I could finally be useful.

But as promising as that sounded in my head, as excited as a part of me was getting, that quickly turned to fear as soon as the party reached us.

Avery and Donna were there at the back of the group, the pack mule Ali loaded up and tied to Avery's dapple-grey horse, Pigeon, taking up the very rear. But in front of me were the rugged and suspicious faces of five strange men, most staring down at me with a mix of doubt and contempt. I did what I could to ignore the piercing stare of Mr. Snarl and focused right on Tim.

Luckily, Tim was at the front and the one who spoke first. "May I just say, Ms. Smith, that we are darn lucky to have you joining us. Ain't that right, boys?" Isaac nodded and the fatter one made a noise that I think was agreeable, but everyone else stayed silent, never breaking their stare. Tim leaned forward on the saddle horn and nodded at my horse. "That's a find looking ride there. Appaloosa? I think I see some roan and freckles on her flanks."

I swallowed hard and tried to stand up straighter. "This is Sadie. She was my...she's been in my family for a while. She's a good horse." I rubbed down her neck and her eyes drooped in response. I was never good at small talk.

He sat back. "Good to know. Well, I'd say we all sit around and get acquainted, but to tell you the truth, there just ain't much time. I suppose you already know that, knowing the weather and the seasons 'round here."

And so here it was. Time for me to go.

I took in a steadying breath, and while Aunt June held onto Sadie (which was completely unnecessary since Sadie wouldn't go anywhere without me saying so), I put my foot in the stirrup and swung my leg over into the saddle. Somehow I was able to do so without my petticoats and pantaloons flashing everyone, which would have been a mortifying start to the adventure.