Chapter 25: Eternal Flame

Y/N's POV:

"I... I..." My hands were weak and my arms shook as I stared at the blue forget me nots. The trap door behind me slammed close and the other Ninja rushed in to help... but nothing could be done. Blue was gone. Just like Sakira and Kai, she had been turned to flowers. I bit my lip, trying to stop myself from crying anymore, especially in front of everyone else.
I didn't want to seem heartless, but I didn't want to look weak either. I swallowed hard and stood up and turned around. Ninja's eyes flashed sadness, but the others were shocked and horrified. "I... I couldn't... I..." My words were useless in this situation. I had to take the bull by the horns and steer away from the conversation... somehow.
"There was nothing you could do," Ninja said. I stared at him, angered and hurt.
"Yes there was!! I could have tried harder to get her out!" I yelled. I pushed his hand away and just wanted to disappear from this place. I knew exactly what was going to happen. We were all going to die here, unless a certain miracle happened that could get us out of this problem. The rest of the Ninja were silent. Reaper finally crept forward and scanned the flowers.
"She's still alive," he said, standing up. I crossed my arms and narrowed my eyes. I could have saved her. I could have! If only I had tried more. Or... if Shira had told me what she knew! I thought bitterly. My thoughts broke when Myst's hand landed on my shoulder.
"As Ninja had said," she advised sharply, "there was nothing you could have done." I stared into her eyes, and huffed out a sigh.
"I'm sorry, Myst. I just thought that I could have saved her somehow...," I said quietly.
"The only way to move on from this is to move forward, no matter the casualties. Do you understand? We have to take down the enemy. At the battle of the Alamo, did anyone stop and surrender when their friends died?" she asked. I shook my head and looked at my feet.
"No. So this isn't any different. We have to try. And even if things don't turn out as we have hoped, at least we tried, right?" Her words were warm and were like a pillow over sharp rocks when I was falling to my death. She was right. All we had to do was try, no matter what the consequences were. I stood up and walked over to Ninja and the others.
"Guys, we have to keep moving."
"But what if we all end up like Sakira and Blue!?" cried Esmerelda. "We'll be dead!" I nodded in agreement with her that it was a scary thought that we might all die.
"But we have to at least try and take down the enemy. We know what his angle is on us and how he has the upper hand. So we have to learn to dodge the traps and to keep moving forward. Reaper, have you mapped our way through here?" I turned to him.
"Yes, Snowbird."
"Alright. Then all we have to do is move on, and fight harder," I said with an encouraging nod. Ninja and Reaper nodded in agreement, followed by Carissa and Myst. Esmerelda hesitated, but nodded with a brave stare.
"Then let's go."

The farther we got down the halls, the more confusing it got. Darkness rounded every corner, only to be met by the bright lights that hung from the ceiling. We ere careful to stop and wait for a few moments before moving forward when the buzzing noise stopped. "This is stupid," Flare growled.
"It may seem that way now, but there's something more to this place than what you think, Flare," Myst said back. There was little conversation between any of us as we trekked down the halls, falling farther and farther into the maze's traps.
After about an hour or so, we stopped to rest. "You have anything on you for food, Myst?" Ninja asked. Myst nodded and brought out eight small bags. She handed one to each of us, giving me a sad glance when she looked at the last bag that was meant to be for Blue. I miss her too... I miss them all, I thought, opening my bag and finding a small bottle of water, a sandwich, and a stale roll. Not much for dinner, but this is better than anything.
"What do we do tonight when the lights go off?" Esmerelda asked, lifting the bottom of her mask up to eat and drink her fill. I turned my gaze to Ninja, asking quietly for the answer.
"What do we have that we can burn?" Ninja said finally. "Anything we can, we will. Maybe the bags will work." The other nodded and ate quickly.
"Save your water, don't drink it all now," I advised, "who know's how long we're going to be down here." The others nodded and drank only part of their water. I sighed and was ready to fall asleep. Flare and Ninja prepared a small fire as the noises of buzzing and pounding died away with the light. Thank God that Flare had gotten the fire up and going.
Everyone settled down around the orange flames and soon, were fast asleep, curled into balls or lying next to each other. I leaned my back against a wall and was ready to go into a much needed sleep.