Chapter Nine

Depuis le début

"Okay..."

"A part of me wanted to hurt him, but now all I feel is guilt. And I spent all morning waiting to come and tell him because I felt that guilty. How pathetic am I?"

"I wish I could help him," I sighed sadly, looking at the house he lived in. "But he doesn't want my help."

"He doesn't want anyone's help," she snorted.

"Just... tell him," I sighed. "He won't like it, but he's been treating you like crap so uh... yeah. Just tell him."

"Okay," she breathed. "Okay..."

"And do it fast," I encouraged. "So that he's got all day to get over it."

A few minutes later Aaron pulled up and I climbed into his car without hesitation. He asked if Angus was talking to me yet, and I just shook my head. I wanted to help him, but the only thing he wanted me to tell him was that I'd broken up with Aaron, and that wasn't going to be happening.

But on Monday, well that's when things really took a turn.

Angus didn't show up to school, and neither did Georgia. But Angus' parents were at home, so when I finished school in the afternoon I politely knocked on the door. His mom answered, looking a little stressed.

"Angus isn't here," she said simply. "He had a fight with his girlfriend and he ran off. But since that was yesterday, I'm not expecting him back anytime soon."

"Oh," I breathed. I'd sent Georgia in to see him, and now I felt bad.

"Yep," she said, a tear welling in her eye. She swftly wiped it away before it fell onto her cheek.

"I hope he comes home soon," I smiled weakly, before leaving.

I drove over to Georgia's house and pounded on the door. When it creaked open, I was expecting an adult or Georgia. But a petite little boy, who looked about three, stood in my way.

"Uh... is Georgia here?" I asked with a smile.

"Nada," the little boy cackled. "Mommy!" he yelled, then turned back to me. "Hello," he grinned.

"Hey," I smiled again.

"Paxton!" I heard Georgia's voice call. "What are you doing answering the door?"

"Hi," I said, smiling.

"Oh, hey, Lexie," she grinned. "I had a feeling you'd come here today. After Angus and I broke up, it was bound to happen."

"He dumped you?" I frowned.

"Hell, no!" she said loudly. "I dumped him. Didn't even bother telling him, because he just started shouting at me. Then he left his parents house, and they rang here looking for him. I take it he's still missing?"

"Yeah, his mom just told me," I sighed. "So is Paxton your brother?"

"No, he's my nephew," she said, kissing his cheek. "My sister Alice has to work, so I'm babysitting. But Pax lives here, anyway. With his mommy. Don't you?" she cooed.

"He's adorable," I complimented. "He actually looks a lot like you."

"I know, hey," she chuckled, putting him down. "He's a good kid. My mom's off at work, and my dad's kind of absent, and Paxton's dad killed himself last year... My family's more messed up than my relationship with Angus was."

"Did he know about all of this?" I asked.

"No, he didn't," she said sadly. "I don't tell people. Alice and my brother in-law Kevin were so close when they were out in public. But if you had to live with them, you'd swear you could kill them. All they ever did was fight. See, I've seen death, too. Because Kevin was like the brother I never had. And none of us knew how unhappy he was until Alice found him hanging in their garage one morning. He was twenty-four years old."

"Wow, that's sad," I said, wiping away some tears.

So how long have Alice and Paxton lived here?"

"Well, ever since he killed himself, she's made two attempts. Both failed, obviously. Mom and I took Pax away from her, because the second time she took a heap of pills. It was only that mom went over there late one night, and found Pax screaming in his crib and Alice on the living room floor. Or else she might have died. But she's gotten help, and got her life back."

"You have something in common with Aaron," I smiled sadly.

"What's that?" she questioned.

"His sister killed herself."

"Oh," Georgia sank to the sofa, and I sat opposite her. "Look, I really don't want people to know about my family's problems, and..."

"Your secret's safe with me," I promised.

"It's funny how well we get along. I always thought that when we first met, that you hated me."

"Not hate. But I liked Angus, and you were with him. It wasn't you I hated, just the idea of you. But... I got to know you, and you're one of my best friends."

"Really?"

"Really."

Georgia hugged me tightly, and I could see that she hid her stress and pain about her family very well behind her bubbly facade. But at home, she could let herself be herself, and the hurt was evident in her eyes.

"Angus is like family to me," I said after a while. "And I always help my family."

"Me, too," she smiled weakly.

"Let's find him and bring him home," I said. "Because it's hurting me that he's hurting."

"I agree," she concluded.

There had to be a way to help him. But for now, we had to find him. His mom was one of the nicest people, and I didn't like that he was hurting her.

It was time to get the old Angus back.