Sophie saw with a start that the two door Porsche was now positioned directly outside the hotel entrance. The Porsche's occupant catapulted out. A blond man staggered, his face deathly pale. He raced toward the back of the accelerating taxi as it pulled out into the busy London street.

There was wildness about him. "Learn how to drive," he shouted.

Sophie brushed her dress down, suddenly desperate to become invisible and disappear into the pavement. Clients could be anywhere; this was no place to cause a scene.

The owner of the Porsche stalked back toward his car. He stopped and glared fiercely at Sophie. "We could all have died. Or someone could have been seriously injured. He's a maniac. Why didn't you say something?"

Sophie felt the hairs on the back of her neck bristle. "I tried my best."

"Your best?" The blond man shook his head vigorously. "Clearly your best isn't good enough because people die in accidents. Make things happen. Don't just try to do something."

"Thanks, Daddio, for the tip. I'll keep that in mind going for my next promotion." Sophie felt her lips freeze into a tight smile. Who did this guy think he was? She obviously hadn't asked the taxi driver to be a maniac. Sophie clutched her handbag almost like a protective shield. Scowling, she ignored the glowering man and stepped toward the hotel entrance.

The man moved at the same time. His feet turned like a mirror image and they faced each other. Sophie stood riveted to the spot. His feet were positioned close to her shoes, the fronts were practically touching. He snorted and examined her patent high heels.

"Unbelievable." He fixed his shirt which was half hanging out, tucking the fabric into his trousers.

Sophie gawped as he continued to dress, pulling a tie out of his pocket. "Excuse me, I'm trying to get past," she snapped.

The blond man raised an eyebrow, and continued to fix the tie loosely around his neck. His mouth dropped open as if to speak. Sophie speculated to what his reply might be as he ogled her bulky handbag. She eyeballed him with an element of hostility. As she glared, she hugged her bag closer to her body which had an undesired effect, for now he was looking at her chest.

"Did you lose your clutch?" he needled. "You look like Mary Poppins with that trunk."

Sophie lifted her chin. "Size does matter. Is that a sore point for you?" She hadn't had time to locate her clutch, knowing it would be somewhere in one of her many boxes. Quite frankly, Sophie had no desire to explain her personal predicament to a stranger.

The man smirked. "Wouldn't you like to know?" He raked a hand through his blond hair, as though he belonged in an aftershave commercial. "I'm sorry if I was insulting. I just hate accidents. Someone I know died in an accident, quite recently."

Sophie's face crumpled in sympathy. "I'm sorry to hear that." She took her leave and launched left, and like two awkward dancing partners he moved with her. Again, they faced the other. She inadvertently inhaled his mint cologne.

She looked at him and sighed and glanced fleetingly at the hotel entrance, wondering who should move first. Neither shifted, both too polite, waiting for the other.

"This is stupid, now we're both being polite," Sophie said. "Look, I should really apologise about the taxi almost crashing into your car. I really did ask the driver to slow down, but he didn't listen."

The man half-grinned, making a dimple appear on his cheek. "It's not your fault. Have a good evening." He yanked at his tie, frustration clear from his contorted expression. "I hate these things."

Sophie put her oversized bag into the man's arms. He hunched as he bewilderedly held onto her handbag. With a puff of exasperation, Sophie leaned in. "Here, let me help you." She expertly looped the ends of the tie as though she belonged in a clothing store. The man examined watched her fingers. Threading the tie round, she realised she'd crossed a boundary.

She froze. "I'm a creature of habit," she mumbled, suddenly aware of her bold actions. "I used to do my dad's tie when I was little. 'Rabbit jumps into the hole' and all that."

"It's fine. Continue," he instructed. "First your taxi tries to kill me and then you look after me. Will I ever understand women?"

"I don't have high hopes for you. That temper...."

"Really?" He chuckled. "Low hope or no hope?"

Sophie avoided his gaze and knotted the tie around his neck. "There you go. Done." She grabbed her bag from him and turned away, not bothering with pleasant goodbyes. Warmth crept up the back of her neck as she felt his stare on her back.

***

I am posting one chapter per week, but there are 44 parts, so this may take a while. It you just can't wait, you can buy the complete book and the continuation of the SKINNY SAGAS on Amazon.

You can follow me on Twitter, or like my Facebook page.

Thanks for reading! You guys all rock! xxx

***If you like Skinny Dipping, please don't forget to vote or follow ***