Chapter Twenty-Three

New Avengers Facility, 2015

Steve

I found Maria in a heap on the ground, next to the burning building that was the safe house - with Bucky and Valerie in it. I had no words to say. What was I supposed to say anyway? I'm sorry for you? You'll be alright? I know how you feel? No. There was nothing for me to say. So instead, I sat next to her in silence, gently rubbing her back.

"It's Hydra, it has to be." She spoke in a raspy, pained voiced just loud enough for me to hear without straining. "They did this to hurt me."

I stared at her in bewilderment. To be truthful, I had no idea what she had gone through with Hydra. All I knew was that they were the reason she had her powers and that she was right there next to me rather than six feet below ground.

"I should never have even thought of escaping that blasted compound in Sokovia. I should've stayed. I should've. Then both Valerie and Barnes would be alive. Both of them." Her voice had smoothed slightly. "It's my fault. It's all my fault."

I shook my head strongly. "No Maria, it's not your fault. This," I motioned towards the now smouldering building "is all Hydra. It's Hydra's fault. Not yours. Don't blame yourself."

She sat upright in a sudden flash, her face full of rage and disbelief. "How can I not blame myself!? If I stayed in that compound this would never have happened! How can it not be my fault!?"

"You didn't know this was going to happen Maria." I said calmly, trying to soothe her.

"It's. Still. My. Fault!" She tuned away from my and put her head on the ground, her fists clenched either side and hitting the pavement. "My. Fault. My fault. My...fault..." She managed to force some tears out and was now uncontrollably sobbing.

I let out a single tear myself before grabbing her shoulders and pulling her towards me. She dug her face into my chest, still crying, her fists still clenched. So I rubbed her back again saying shhh as if she were a distressed baby.

"I loved them Steve, I really did." She whispered.

"I know," I nodded. "I know."

**********

Maria

Steve took me back to the new Avengers Facility and assigned me my own room. He had doctors and psychologists all over me, trying to help me. I rejected them all and retreated to my new room. I'd been through enough already, why should I try to satisfy others?

It had probably been a week since I'd come out of that room. I had no reason to anyway. It had everything I needed; a bathroom, kitchenette and king size bed complete with an HDTV. Everything I could use to wallow in my sorrow was at my complete disposal. No one even came to visit me (which was fine with me), not even Steve. He knew I didn't want to socialise

I wonder how he's actually coping...he lost his best friend, again...

Anyway, after about a week of lonesome, someone had barged into my room.

"What do you want?" I grumbled, not knowing who it was since I was on laying on my side in my huge bed, back to them.

They huffed. "I want you to get up and look at me."

Russian?

My brows furrowed at the strong accent. I knew that voice. I did.

"Get up!" They yelled at me.

Wanda...

I quickly sat up and turned towards the doorway. Like I thought, Wanda was standing there, hands on hips and waiting.