Chapter 2 (Charlotte)

Start from the beginning

I had to laugh again, "That guy had flighty written all over him. I don't expect him to stick around here much longer."

"But he's sticking around."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head as I stood and stuck my last french fry in my mouth., "And probably here to make a move on the next pound of flesh, and skipping town." A envious feeling tightened my chest and caused me to take a breath.

"Flighting or not," Kevin said softly, "It's good to see you smiling again."

"I had fun. I wish you were there." I smiled, "Speaking of, how was your road trip?"

There was a saddened look in his eyes, "From what I could tell, my grandmother is doing fine. My aunt's and one of her kids came to see her. So she wasn't alone."

"Did you go in and see her?" I sat down again. Kevin told me he was estranged from his family. We didn't tell each other everything but most things. More than we told other people.

He looked into his mug, "I remember one summer, me and my brothers came to spend the summer with her. While everyone else was playing outside, I came into her room." He smiled glancing off toward the big window in the diner, "She had a make of pallet that would have made Piccasso scream, and these beautiful silk scarfs, and beautiful broaches that sparkled." He laughed softly, "I remember the first time she caught me in her make up. I thought I was about to get my little ass beat."

I chuckled, "Did you?"

"She told me 'boy, I don't care what you do, but if your going to do it, do it right." He done the impression of his grandma in the same raspy southern voice, that reminded me so much of home.

"She could have judged me, she could have told my dad, but she didn't." He brushed a hand over the small bumps that had appeared on his arm, "I was seven and had already been through more hell than a child that age should go through because he was different. It was nice to have someone."

"You should have went in."

He looked up at me. His eyes were glassy with tears, "She wouldn't have recognized me. I'm going to hate it when she passes. I will be putting a scarf on her grave and telling her what she meant."

"You shouldn't wait till she dead." I said suddenly feeling the weight of my heart.

Kevin took a long breath bringing us both back to reality. We were both full of advice we never took ourselves. It was probably why we both were such good friends.

"I'm so glad Eric is still on his little break." Kevin collected the dishes, "He was working my last nerve.

Eric was our boss. Not our real boss, his mother owned the diner, he just over saw it now that she was retired. I think we all were luck that Eric's mother was an old woman that was well off living off of the wealth of her ex-husband's. If not we all would be out of a job, or at least in a worst job in this small town. Flapjacks Grill didn't exactly rain in business. It had a few regulars, and a few voyagers passing through. I'd excepted that this was more true on holidays.

"Speaking of," I started, "You mind covering for me? I need to get off an hour early."

"You know I'll do it. What are you getting into. Tracking down your dark stranger."

I smiled tightly, "No I have to give Spencer his dog back."

Kevin cocked his head curiously, "I guess he wanted to surprise Auggie for Christmas," I sighed, "With a dog I can't afford."

"That's sweet." He said, strolling back to the coffee pitchers, "Why did you two break up."

I laughed deeply. "We didn't break up. We never were a thing."

"That guy followed you around like a puppy for a good two weeks, and he took you and your son to a carnival." Kevin huffed putting his hand just above the apron on his him, "Do you live in Egypt or something? Are you in denial?"

"Yes, because in this day and age, a guy follows you around for two weeks that makes you his property."

I shook my head.

"Was it his tight-in-the-ass holier-than-thou family?"

I shook my head again. I hated the conversation, from Kevin and everyone. I was a single woman that wasn't looking to date. I wanted to be single. I liked the way things were.

"Okay." Kevin surrendered, "But we all get lonely."

What he said rolled off my shoulders as I went into the kitchen. Even for a gay man Kevin could be close-minded. I knew if were were two guys talking about the same subject no one would think twice about a non-committal man with a child. There were somethings that people just couldn't get over.