Chapter Thirty Two

When I finally go to Eli's house again, I get to see his baby sister, Casie. She's perfect. She's got these blue blue eyes and she's always laughing at whatever. Seeing her kinda makes me wish I was that young again, when life was just a breeze and when people did everything for you. But wishing doesn't do shit. 

It's too late now. I've grown up.

Mrs Graham makes me hold Casie and then she goes on and on about my motherly instinct. I get nervous and put Casie back in her cradle. She coos at me then puts her foot in her mouth. Aw.

Mr Graham is back and he's not like what I expected. He's freaking hilarious. I can see why he and Mrs Graham make such a good match. While the Grahams make a fuss over Casie, Eli and I slip out the back door and sit on the porch steps. Eli sits on the step above me and undoes the braid I spent the whole morning trying to perfect. I don't really mind that much when he starts stroking my hair. It feels as good as it does when Chase does it.

No.

Better.

We sit in silence. It's funny how with different people, silence can mean a whole lot of things. I feel like I can tell Eli everything just by looking at him.

I think... I think I love him, Dad.

Kidding.

But I do think I love Eli. What the heck? I'm not sure I even know what love is in the first place. For all I know, it's a lot like hate. You know, can't get the person out of your mind and all.

"What is love?" I say, slicing the silence in half.

"What?" Eli stops stroking for a second.

"Love, Know-it-all." I say, "What is it, exactly?" But I don't give Eli the chance to respond. "Like everyone falls in love with one thing or another in their lifetime, a person, a movie, a book, but what IS IT? How do I know I really love something? What's different inside me?"

"I dunno. Love changes you." Eli says with a shrug, "It makes you feel different. Act different. You don't think rationally anymore. Sometimes you just do things."

"Bad things?" I ask, my voice soft. Smoking-swearing-fighting things?

"You didn't make me bad." Eli says, a sly smile on his face, "I was always bad. You just fell for my angelic looks."'

I can't help but laugh. But then Eli says, "You've changed too. You're actually not that bad anymore. He grabs my hand and squeezes. "Besides, I liked you from day one. You were really cute. You still are. Especially when you're angry." I roll my eyes but I'm smiling. Eli pinches my cheek, "Wait. Not cute. Quirky seductive different. And that's how I like my girls."

It's so sweet it's not even funny. Not the tiniest bit. I can only kiss him. There are things lips can say without words, you know?

Yes, I love Eli Graham.

I think we were meant to be. Because Eli and me, we aren't so different after all. We both make mistakes, we both have our moments, we both have gold and bad blood in our veins. But then again, so does everyone.

THE END